technique for crimp and solder wires

Previous topic - Next topic

scotty

I'm about to install the new windlass I bought (I ended up going with a Lewmar V1).  As per information on this website, I want to crimp and solder the connections on the cables of the battery circuit.  Can you help me find the proper technique?  Can I drill and then use a solder gun - or should I use a torch?  If I use a torch, how do I avoid burning the insulation?
Scotty

lazybone

On sale at HF for 59.99 hydaulic  w/ dies.  

Looks lke it should do a nice job.

Ciao tutti

S/V LAZYBONES  #677

mainesail

Quote from: scotty on February 10, 2011, 08:20:23 PM
I'm about to install the new windlass I bought (I ended up going with a Lewmar V1).  As per information on this website, I want to crimp and solder the connections on the cables of the battery circuit.  Can you help me find the proper technique?  Can I drill and then use a solder gun - or should I use a torch?  If I use a torch, how do I avoid burning the insulation?

With a proper heavy duty cast lug, like those by FTZ or Quick Cable, the proper crimp tool & the proper adhesive lined heat shrink there is no need to solder. If you properly crimp it the solder won't add any value otehr than to fill voids in the end of the lug through the drilled hole. Using the proper crimp tool results in a gas tight seal and solder is FAR larger than gas and won't go where you want it to. Crimping should not be done after soldering.

I would recommend GenuineDealz.com if you don't have your own tool. They will do the labor and assemble your cables for $1.00 per crimp + supplies. Well worth the expense.

http://www.pbase.com/mainecruising/battery_cables

If you buy a crimper from Harbor Freight understand that the dies are NOT properly sized for AWG wire despite what it says on the lugs. A couple of trusted marine electricians I know bought these and they dies are sized for non AWG wire and light duty lugs despite the stamping on the dies. In the marine world you want cast lugs not stamped which is what this tool is sized for. They used to make a 12 ton unit that was actually properly sized for heavy duty lugs but they no longer offer it. Over crimping can be as bad as under crimping.

-Maine Sail
Casco Bay, ME
Boat - CS-36T

https://marinehowto.com/

Ron Hill

Scotty : I've posted this before that you can crimp the larger wire (#4 & bigger) with either a large crimper like you find at West Marine stores or use the hammer type crimper, but don't hammer it.  Instead use one of the 3 dies and use a vice grips.  Crimp, then tighten the grips & crimp and then tighten/crimp again.

As far a soldering goes - purchase open end lugs, slide on some heat shrink, use a torch to solder and when cool slide the Ancor (adhesive lined) heat shrink and use a heat gun to shrink (NOT a flame).  Use GenuineDealz as recommended by Mainsail.

The surefire way that I can recommend -- is to send me a round trip airplane ticket/lodging and I'll come out and do it for you!!  You provide all of the "tools and parts"   :D    A thought
Ron, Apache #788

scotty

Thanks, all, for the advise.  Ron, while I may be a little short on travel expense funds at present, if you find yourself in my neck of the woods, come on by for a sail out of beautiful Santa Cruz.  That, by the way, is an open invitation for any IC34 members.
Scotty