Fuel leak in fuel return line

Previous topic - Next topic

Ralph Masters

The last two or three time out I have noticed a bit of diesel fuel getting into the bilges.  Today I traced out the problem with the engine running at about 1000 RPM in the slip and noticed the leak in the return line from the injector pump. 
The problem was caused by where the line runs around the water lift box for the exhaust.  After a number of years it rubbed a hole in the hose.
What you'll need to fix if you have the same problem.  Remove the wood partition at the foot of the aft berth that will allow access to the fuel tank.  The hose on mine, hull number 367, a 1987 with the 25 HP engine was 1/4 inch and it took 8 feet.
After I installed the new hose where it raps around the water lift I split a length of left over hose and put it around the fuel line to insulate it from the heat and rubbing.
Putting the wood panel back in was a snap.  the entire project, including the trip to WM to get the hose only took abot 3 hours from start to finish clean up of the fuel in the bilges.

Ciao Bella....................
Ralph Masters
Ciao Bella
San Diego
Hull 367, 1987

Ron Hill

Sd : Wether it be fuel, water or electrical lines; they need to be traced from source to end and either tied up tightly and/or have some chaff guard placed around them.

Split loam or a piece of old hose will do wonders and keep things from rubbing through. 
A thought
Ron, Apache #788

Ralph Masters

Ron,
Thanks for the note, I used a length of left over water hose that I had from replacing that last fall.  Works great.  Need to do more scrubbing to clean out all the fuel that is under the aft berth where it was leaking, thought I had it all but still have an oder of fuel back there.  That's what Saturdays are for I guess.

Ralph
Ralph Masters
Ciao Bella
San Diego
Hull 367, 1987

Stu Jackson

Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

Ralph Masters

Ok, last week replaced the fuel return line this week replaced the suction/supply lines.  Discovered that it is a leak in the tank.  Will call Catalina and ask about replacement tanks.  Are the new ones plastic???

Caoa Bella
Ralph Masters
Ciao Bella
San Diego
Hull 367, 1987

Ted Pounds

The new ones are aluminum.  Some folks have plastic tanks, but there is a thread on here about odor problems with them.
Ted Pounds
"Molly Rose"
1987 #447

Mike and Joanne Stimmler

SD,
I think it might be worth investigating to see if the tank is repairable after you get a price on a new tank.
Sometimes the price of a new one isn't that much more than the repair but it's worth looking at.

Mike
Mike and Joanne Stimmler
Former owner of Calerpitter
'89 Tall Rig Fin keel #940
San Diego/Mission Bay
mjstimmler@cox.net

Kevin Henderson

Ralph... Sorry to hear it could be your fuel tank. :cry4`
I'm (almost) always down at Pau Hana on weekends and since I'm only a dozen slips down from you I'll be happy to lend a hand with whatever work you need to do to the tank. 
I bought myself a spiffy little transfer pump so if you need to get some fuel into some Jerry Cans, let me know.
The sail, the play of its pulse so like our own lives: so thin and yet so full of life, so noiseless when it labors hardest, so noisy and impatient when least effective.
~Henry David Thoreau

Ralph Masters

Thanks Kevin, when time comes and I need some moral support I'll come down and get you.  I figure we can drink a beer while the girls get that tank on the pier.  Still trying to find a replacement.  Not going to do the JB Weld fix.  Don't want to re-do this exercise.  I think this is like a ZZA-15 or something.
Ralph Masters
Ciao Bella
San Diego
Hull 367, 1987

Ralph Masters

Ordered a new fuel tank today from Catalina.  The new tanks are made of heavier plate.  The same tank fits in the Catalina 36 as well, so if you know some one with a problem on a 36 let them know.  $524 dollars.

If anybody needs an old tank, I have one I'll sell you, $523 dolloars.

The pessimist complains about the wind,
The optimist expects  it to change,
The realist adjusts the sails.
--William Arthur Ward
Ralph Masters
Ciao Bella
San Diego
Hull 367, 1987

Ralph Masters

Pumped out all the fuel yesterday to remove the old tank tank.  With the fuel gage showing 1/4 full I pumped 9 gallons of fuel out of it.  The old tank came out really easy, except getting it up the stairs.  Replacing all the hoses, fill, vent and suction and return.  When I removed the suction hose from the tank the screen had been removed by a PO.  Pumped the fuel out by removing the return line to the tank and placing it in a fuel can and running the lift pump through the Racor.  Now I can re-use the fuel.
The old tank has two holes in ths bottom.

Ralph
Ciao Bella
Ralph Masters
Ciao Bella
San Diego
Hull 367, 1987

lazybone

Quote from: SD Diver on January 28, 2011, 03:29:24 PM

If anybody needs an old tank, I have one I'll sell you, $523 dolloars.

--William Arthur Ward

Bill,
How much would shipping be to the East coast?  

If its more than a dollar, forget it.
Ciao tutti

S/V LAZYBONES  #677

Ralph Masters

Aldo,
Send me a check for 523 and I'll pay shipping any where you want it delivered.  There's only two small leaks in the bottom, you can pour fuel in the top faster then it runs out.
Putting the new tank in Saturday.  So far the hardest part was getting into the aft lazzeret to replace the fill hose to the deck fitting.  WOW.

Ralph
Ciao Bella
Ralph Masters
Ciao Bella
San Diego
Hull 367, 1987

Ralph Masters

Fuel tank installation completed yesterday.  In the 87 model there is ample room to get the new tank in and do all the hose and electrical hook ups.  After connecting all hoses I opened the injection pump bleed, turned the key on so the lift pump would run and let it go for about three minutes, at that point I could hear fuel running back into the tank and the engine started right up.  That was even with a new engine mounted fule filter that I did not fill prior to installing.  Now it's time to get Ciao Bella away from the pier for awhile before starting the next project.

Ralph
Ralph Masters
Ciao Bella
San Diego
Hull 367, 1987