How much forestay to replace

Previous topic - Next topic

bclery

Sorry for all the posts, I'm trying to tackle that winter TODO list.

When replacing the forestay, are you typically replacing the turnbuckle and toggle below the turnbuckle?  Those things look to be in fine shape, spending most of their life protected inside the furler drum.

Is it considered OK to remove the forestay and support the mast with two halyards for a few WEEKS while the new forestay is built?  They will want the old one for sizing.

Thanks,
Bill

Ted Pounds

I think you should be OK supporting the mast for a couple of weeks with the halyards; especially since you're using 2, giving you a back-up.  However I wouldn't suggest going sailing with that set-up while waiting for the new forestay  :rolling

As for the hardware I'd send it all to the rigger for inspection and see what they say...
Ted Pounds
"Molly Rose"
1987 #447

Ken Juul

When I did my standing rigging I found the factory to be the cheapest.  They sent the new rigging pin to pin and included new pins.
Ken & Vicki Juul
Luna Loca #1090
Chesapeake Bay
Past Commodore C34IA

Ron Hill

Bill : I agree that with 2 haylards for support the mast should be OK for a couple of weeks.  The only part of the mast that isn't "fully" supported is from the spreaders up. 

I'd replace everything from the bottom pin to the top pin, especially on the head stay that can't be easily inspected (that includes the turnbuckle).
Ron, Apache #788

Jim Hardesty

Bill:  I agree that it should be fine.  But...is your boat on the hard?  if so, strong winds and mast pumping would be a worry for me.
Jim
Jim Hardesty
2001 MKII hull #1570 M35BC  "Shamrock"
sailing Lake Erie
from Commodore Perry Yacht Club
Erie, PA

Ron Hill

Bill : I wouldn't be concerned about "mast pumping". 
The fact that the top of the mast isn't fully supported may even deter mast pumping; as the mast can sway like a flag pole in the wind.
Ron, Apache #788