Advice/suggestions for chafe protection

Previous topic - Next topic

Solstice

Hello all,

I just installed a Fairclough sail cover for my 355 and I'm looking for a way to prevent chafe from the tie downs. I purchased the in water version (although I'm on the hard this year) so the canvas skirt sits on the gelcoat with the tie downs sitting on about 10 inches of gelcoat. I am using microfiber clothes under the tie downs temporarily, but I'm concerned that when they get wet and freeze they will cause more harm than good. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated! Thanks in advance...

Roc

I have a winter cover and just run the lines around the hull.  I have had no problems with the lines chafing the gelcoat.  You mention 'tie downs' so maybe you are referring to something else?
Roc - "Sea Life" 2000 MKII #1477.  Annapolis, MD

Solstice

Roc,

I think we are talking about the same thing. However, my lines run from one set of grommets to another around the bottom of the hull.

Jim Hardesty

I do some dumpster diving and get scraps of shrink wrap and use them between the hull and the cover tie downs.  Just slide the shrink wrap (a foot or so wide) a few inches under the cover at the tie down lines then fold the shrink wrap over the lines and tape the shrink wrap over the lines.
Jim
Jim Hardesty
2001 MKII hull #1570 M35BC  "Shamrock"
sailing Lake Erie
from Commodore Perry Yacht Club
Erie, PA

Roc

Sounds like your cover is tied around the hull like mine. Here's a picture.  I have found no issue with chalf.  What I do is make sure any loose end of the line, after you tie them off, aren't flapping around. 

Solstice

Thanks for the suggestions. Roc mine is not quite like yours in that my canvas comes down quite a bit more, but still has about 1-2 feet of distance between the top sides and the water line. However, it's the same situation where you have lines touching the gelcoat. Looks like I might be worrying about nothing!
Also like the idea of using Shrinkwrap around the lines--What I ended up doing is getting a tube of pipe insulation and cutting it into small pieces. I then stuck the short pieces of tubing under the lines horizontally at the hull (not on the gelcoat) to hold the lines off the topsides....we'll see how that holds up....thanks again....

Roc

Solstice,
This picture is before I had my cover modified.  Over the years it shrunk and didn't come down over the sheer stripe, like when it was new. I since had it lengthened and it comes down about a foot or so lower than this picture shows.  I don't believe you need to worry about the lines rubbing the gelcoat.  I've had this cover since the boat was new and haven't noticed any rub marks on the hull.

tonywright

I always clean the boat well before putting on the winter cover: any dirt on the hull could cause abrasion, as could dirt embedded in the lines. I have a longer winter cover, and for extra protection hang cotton sheeting around the hull under the cover. Boats that don't do this evetually see gelcoat abrasion over the years, or sometimes as a result of strong windstorms.  

If you have any zippers in the cover, hang a square of carpeting (soft side against the hull) under any touch points. I had severe abrasion in one spot one year at the stern when I forgot to do this...another lesson learned!

Tony
Tony Wright
#1657 2003 34 MKII  "Vagabond"
Nepean Sailing Club, Ottawa, Canada

Ron Hill

Sol : I just gave away my old winter cover of 23 years after I had a new one made.
        Look in Projects and you'll see my winter (& summer) covers.
1.  Never use grommets as they pull out - use sewn tab loops
2.  I put tennis balls on the stanchion tops for extra chaff guard
3.  As you can see from my posted pictures, the winter cover hangs straight down - no hull chaff guard needed.  Also the water run off doesn't run down the hull sides and stain.
4.  Pipe instillation makes a great chaff guard.

A few thoughts
Ron, Apache #788

Solstice

Thanks all for the feedback and advice. I have put chafe protection everywhere the frame may put pressure on the canvas and I am definitely a proponent of getting the hull as clean as possible before putting the cover on. On my  last two boats I used shrink wrap because I couldn't justify the payback--knowing that we will be keeping this boat for a long while, getting away from shrink wrap was a no brainer.
Ron, I did see your winter/summer canvas posts--great way to keep the boat clean year round. Greatly appreciate all the feedback!