Tightening Keel Bolts

Previous topic - Next topic

Donay's Dream I

After reviewing the previous discussions on water in bilge and leaking keel bolts, I decided that I would ensure that my keel bolts were tightened properly.

I confirmed the tightening procedure and torque with Catalina.  As a matter of interest, Catalina advised that the torque should be 105 ft-lbs.  Also, if you are have a slight leak, they recommended backing off the nut, lifting the washer, use 3M 5200, rebed the washer and nut.

My first task was to find a socket that would fit over the keel bolts and engage the nut. To make a long story short, I couldn't find a socket with deep enough throat.  So I purchased a 1-1/8" deep socket and had it cut and put an extension of +/-5".  The modified socket has worked great.

The only problem that I ran into was checking the torque on the rear keel bolt due to limited access.  However, I was able to tighten the nut, which was in fact a bit loose, using a socket racket handle.

Time will tell if I solved my water in bilge problem!

Donay's Dream I

Ron;

Thanks for your reply.  I also checked with Snap-on but they only had a 4-3/8" deep socket.  This was going to be touch and go to reach all the keel bolt nuts.

My new keel bolt socket cost me +/-$45 CAN while the shorter Snap-on was +/-$74 CAN.

Thanks for the reference.

Ken Juul

Until I saw the torque required I thought I would use a crows foot if I need to check mine.  The snap on dealer should know if a crow foot can safely handle that much.  Would be a much cheaper alternative for a seldom used tool.
Ken & Vicki Juul
Luna Loca #1090
Chesapeake Bay
Past Commodore C34IA

dave davis

There has been lots of talk recently about checking the Foot pounds on the keel nuts. I have a few suggestions.  Mark the end of the bolt with a good marking pen with a line parrellel to the axis of the boat. mark the Nut in the same direction of the previous mark. Now that both lines are in the same directions, you will end up with a record of how much, if any, you have tightened the nuts.
  My only other thought is that this should be done when the boat is out of the water and it is resting on the keel. Just a feeling on the subject. Dave
Dave Davis San Francisco, 707, Wind Dragon, 1988, South Beach

rirvine

I am in the process of going through the same process with these bolts - boat is on the hard in Santa Cruz as I type.  At Ron Hill's suggestion, I talked with the factory and they gave me the same advice - add 5200 under the washers and torque up the bolts.  We will see what happens.d

rirvine

Crew's Nest is back in the water and the bilge is completely dry.  This means that the idea of backing off the keel bolt nuts, putting a good supply of 5200 under the washers and then torque the nuts back to 105 ftlbs works â€" at least in my case.   I am also the proud owner of a modified socket that actually fit over the keel bolts.f