Ultra Low Sulphur Diesel

Previous topic - Next topic

Mike and Joanne Stimmler

Does anyone know if there any problems with using the ultra low sulphur diesel fuel currently sold at gas stations?

It's about $1.00 per gallon cheaper than the "untaxed" fuel at the fuel dock.

I have used the low sulphur stuff a few times but only 5 gallons at a time by gerry can when our fuel dock was closed temporarily.

I'm thinking back when they were converting from regular gas to unleaded and some cars weren't designed for unleaded and got valve damage as a result.

Any similarities?
Mike and Joanne Stimmler
Former owner of Calerpitter
'89 Tall Rig Fin keel #940
San Diego/Mission Bay
mjstimmler@cox.net

Ron Hill

Mike : I believe that I wrote my first Mainsheet article on the low sulphur diesel back about 1991 or 1992?

It's the removal of the sulphur from the diesel that causes the lack of lubricity.  The lack of that lubricant causes galling of the injector and injection parts.  That can be cured by using the sulphur diesel for "work boats" (not necessarily 'marine diesel') or putting in an additive that specifically lists lubricity additive.

There have been a zillion articles written on this topic in all of the marine publications !!  If you use the low sulphur highway diesel - Just make sure that you replace the lubricity - so you don't screw up the  moving parts of your fuel system!!  A thought
Ron, Apache #788