Delta and Bruce anchors

Previous topic - Next topic

PLKennedy

For the first time im many years I had to reset several times my 33 pound Bruce in heavy grass in Cuttyhunk.  I use 30 feet of 5/16 chain, but kept sliding.  I finally got it to stick.  A friend who uses a 35 pound Delta suggested a switch to it.

Has anyone had experience with Deltas?  Will it fit the bow sprit/roller on a Mark II?  

Peter

Ted Pounds

I'm biased against the Bruce after having trouble with it on a BVI charter.  The CQR, on the other hand, worked very well on the charter boat and does yeoman service on my boat.  Mine has an extra hole drilled in the shank to accommadate the pin on my bow roller and with that it fits great.

Ted
Ted Pounds
"Molly Rose"
1987 #447

Stu Jackson

Peter & Susan

Each anchor type works best in different bottoms.  Because your particular anchor didn't work at Cuttyhunk doesn't mean it won't work elsewhere.

Please consult with many previously written materials (i.e., West Marine Advisor and catalog for anchors, same for BoatUS, and other "anchor" books).

Those will explain the importance of the TYPE of bottom (grass, mud, sand, coral, et. al.) and how different types of anchors work in each.

The best advice ever presented is to have two different types of anchors, especially if you move around a lot and are anchoring in mud one day, sand the next, and hopefully, coral - the fish sure look better with the coral behind them! :)
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

Mike Smith

I have a 33 lb Bruce on all chain rode and anchor in sand, mud, and grass.  Before I bought my canal lot I used to anchor out for hurricanes and severe tropical storms in Santa Rosa Sound here in Gulf Breeze, FL.  Never had a problem.

Mike Smith
S/V Breezer
www.mikejansmith.com

hdevera

To answer your question, The Delta anchor fits just fine on the bow roller.  Mine is ?24lb anchor and it has served me well anchoring in primarily muddy areas.  Have not dragged in 30 plus kts winds.  Although I would feel more secure with the next size up anchor.  I have 40 ft of chain and use a swivel to connect the chair to anchor.  I have a 2nd anchor for the stern and it's a Fortress.

jentine

Peter, your problem is not the anchor or the chain.  Your problem is Cuttyhunk.  I have seen all types of anchors fail to hold in the rocks surrounding Cuttyhunk.  The best solution there is to arrive early and pick-up a mooring for 20 jor 30 dollars a night (usually one night in Cuttyhunk is enough for anyone).
Jim Kane

Brad "Captivated" # 1285

I use a Delta anchor on our 1994 and it fits fine on the bow roller. I do have to secure it when not in use as it will take a bite out of the gelcoat if the waves kick up. I use it in Lake Erie which has sand, mud, and grass. I also use 30 feet of chain before the anchor rode.
I haven't had a problem with it so far.

dsavary

I anchor without any problem including Cuttyhunk after I purchased a Spade anchor. My friend who has an Island Packet has also gotten religous and bought a Spade anchor. i have 25' od 5/16 chain with a swivel. Read Practical Sailor about the Spade anhor testing.

John Fogelgren #718 '88

We have a Delta anchor and a 1988 C34.  Has anyone used the replacement bow roller that Catalina Direct offers for the newer Catalinas on a 1988 boat?  This roller has the holes in it which are supposed to match up with newer boats.  We're not sure which bow roller to use to self-store our Delta.

Stu Jackson

John

There have been many writeups of improved bow rollers over the years.  I recommend that you check the Projects, FAQs and Tech Notes Sections of the main website, as well as performing a search on this board.  What's your hull #?  It helps in addition to the year to answer questions.
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

Tom Glennon

Cuttyhunk does challenge the best of us with the use of ground tackle.

A sailing friend of mine uses a 25lb. "kellett" which he rides down his rode once he is set.  He uses a modified "spade-type" anchor, with 40 feet of 5/8" chain and never seems to have a problem.  I on the other hand usually opt for the early-bird special and grab a mooring, so can fully enjoy the raw bar when it arrives!
Tom Glennon, Slow Dance #354, 1987, Buzzards Bay, Massachusetts

Ron Hill

You failed to mention the size of your Delta.  I hope it's at least a #35!!  

I modified my 1988 back in 1992 for a bow roller.  As Stu mentioned look in Projects or in the Mainsheet tech notes.  Great Mod.    :thumb:
Ron, Apache #788

Jim Price

John, I am replacing my bow roller on Lady Di  (1991) due to another "A--hole" sailor(believe it or not, a sailor) steering his boat from the foredeck.  :x    I ordered the new current Catalina model from Catalina Direct 4 weeks ago and it will still be another 4-5 weeks for delivery.  Seems manufacture is backlogged (I am guessing a lot ot bow rollers are being replaced in FL).

I think upgrade is best direction to go - roller will sit deeper in the track going into the anchor well and the attachment bolt holes are much deeper inboard which should give unit more strength.  Roller is also longer for better anchor clearance - and for better spearing of incompetent sailors!   :clap

Just wanted to share the time frame because it will take a while to get one in your hands and you don't want to remove anything until you receive the new one.
Jim Price
"LADY DI", 1119
Lake Lanier, GA

Ron Hill

John : When I added my bow roller (way back when) I called Windline for some advice.  I found that the 1989 and later Catalina's used their narrow roller.  
Call Windline and reconfirm, but you can probably get it thru Defender for $125!!  They might just have it in stock!!   Ron
Ron, Apache #788