Electrical Systems 101

Previous topic - Next topic

scotty

OK Stu, I'm really impressed by this...I think.  That is to say, it is WAY over my head.  I think I'll study it for a long while.  The only sugestion I have is that you post this on the Tech Wiki site so that it is easly found by future participants in this community.  Once again, good job.
Scotty

Stu Jackson

Scotty, I added it to the electrical section in the Tech wiki, linked right back here, since if I add anything, I'll do it here and the wiki link will "still be alive."  I'm still cludgy on the wiki, this format is much easier for us simple typists and linksters.   :D
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

Stu Jackson

Another good discussion about the 1-2-B switch, from Sailnet, with Maine Sail and Brian from Victoria, BC contributing.  You'll have to wade through answers to the orignal question to get into the heart of the switching discussion.

http://www.sailnet.com/forums/electrical-systems/75057-perko-4-way-switch.html

It gets into, yet again, the "illogical-for-the-intended-use" Blue Seas dual circuit system.  For those of you who have the DC switch, take heed of Maine Sail's advice:  if you like what you have, and understand how it works, and its limitations, then you're just fine.  Simply understand that there are different, and I believe, better ways to set up a boat electrical system.
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

Stu Jackson

One of my "favorite" engine wiring issues:  from page 4 onward:

http://c34.org/bbs/index.php/topic,3347.45.html

[Added to Critical Upgrades page, too.]

Stu Jackson

Stu Jackson

Stu Jackson

AGM Battery Failure and a good discussion of the Blue Seas Dual Circuit design concept in a real life situation.

Thanks again to Maine Sail.

Darn AGMs

http://forums.catalina.sailboatowners.com/showthread.php?t=133773

Ron Hill

Stu : I'm glad that you posted Mainsails thoughts on AGM batteries.

I've never heard of equalizing an AGM and don't ever plan on doing that!

On the 1 2 B switch, mine is even simpler - it's ON or OFF manually operated by the Captain.

As far keeping AGMs fully charged after discharge is not that difficult. It's harder at anchor, but that's what the Honda (or solar panels) are for.
Now with LEDs the only big battery drain left is the fridge - unless you have self inflected wounds from something like a 110V hair dryer or coffee peculator etc.  
After opening up the boat, we always try to stay at the dock over night (plugged in) to get the fridge cooled down. Then taking off the next morn the fridge is stabilized. We also have dock mates that when called will plug in and turn on the fridge to give it a head start before we arrive.

I've been doing overnights for over 24 years and from 16:00 to 08:00 the next day we typically only use about 30 amp hours.  By the time I start the engine and pull anchor the alternator has put 3/4 of the amp deficit back into the batteries.  Motor for another 30 minutes and they are almost fully charged.

Interesting article.  
Ron, Apache #788

Stu Jackson

HOW TO CHARGE BATTERIES & To Plug In or Not

A sometimes humorous discussion of how to do it, an offshoot of the excellent battery charger evaluation topic by John Nixon:

http://c34.org/bbs/index.php/topic,4338.0.html

Stu Jackson

Stu Jackson

Golf Cart Batteries compared to 4D & 8D 12V Batteries:

http://forums.catalina.sailboatowners.com/showthread.php?t=156139

See Reply #5, by Maine Sail.  A definitive explanation of how to save your back and increase your investment in lead.   :clap

Ron Hill

Guys : For those of you that don't know what a 4D or 8D battery looks like, then next time you're in a battery shop or West Marine look and lift a 4D battery!! 

That will surely convince you!!  Then picture carrying it up the companion way steps.
Ron, Apache #788

Stu Jackson

Maine Sail's new topic on why using battery voltage as an indicator of battery SOC is nonsense.

His conclusion:

If you expect or plan to use voltage as your indicator of SOC and when to re-charge I would strongly urge you to begin recharging at a bare minimum of 12.1V, even when drawing your average house loads. Remember your house loads are a lower average load than the 20 hour rate so you will be better served to begin re-charging at 12.15V -12.2V in order to get the most life from your bank.

Here's the full topic: 

http://forums.sailboatowners.com/index.php?threads/loaded-battery-voltage-vs-soc-agm-lead-acid-battery.176854/

mainesail

Quote from: Stu Jackson on January 22, 2016, 11:06:58 AM
Maine Sail's new topic on why using battery voltage as an indicator of battery SOC is nonsense.

Please be aware that Stu's "nonsense" interpretation of what I wrote is his interpretation.

Voltage can be used but just like all the folks who use Coulomb counters incorrectly, so do those who often use voltage. Using voltage is not at all nonsense but to do it correctly or remotely accurately takes an owner who has an active role in understanding his or her battery bank beyond just slapping a generic voltage to SOC chart on the bulkhead near the volt meter. Is using voltage to try and predict SOC nonsense, not at all, but most folks do have a tough time with it, as they do with Coulomb counters..
-Maine Sail
Casco Bay, ME
Boat - CS-36T

https://marinehowto.com/

Stu Jackson

Re: Sterling Procharge Ultra Battery Charger Problems

OP: We bought a new Sterling Procharge Ultra battery charger, installed it and set it according to the instructions. For the first few months it seemed to charge okay and then it stopped. The charger was on but it didn't charge voltage and the indicator showed 00. The only way to get it working again was to turn it off and on again.

After going through this a couple of times (each time it was after a month or two of what seemed to be normal charging), I contacted Sterling (the company) and the battery charger was replaced under warranty.

Now the replacement battery charger is going through exactly the same behaviour. It stops charging. Charger is on but doesn't charge voltage and indicator shows 00. I "reset" the battery charger by turning it off and on and then it goes back to working again.

Does anybody have any ideas as to what the problem is?

Maine Sail's answer
:

Sounds like some of you may have received a California Emissions Compliant charger or CEC compliant unit. Best thing to do is to turn that feature off. You want to run it in PS mode not BC mode.....

When you first boot the newer CEC compliant chargers (ProMariner ProNautic P and Sterling ProCharge Ultra) you will see 888 on the screen followed by "bc" for about 5-7 seconds.

While "bc" is still on the screen hit the up or down arrow until it says "ps" then hit enter. The charger is now running as a standard battery charger and no longer beholden to the laws of the State of California which force the charger to turn off the display and go to sleep....