Leak at companionway

Previous topic - Next topic

BobAthensGA

I know this post is a little old..... I have a 1988 C34 with the same companionway as pictured in this post. On the inside of the companionway there is a weep hole in the center of the fiberglass. This allows a small drip to drop right where the engine cover meets the companionway. This has caused some rot. Not bad but I need to fix it. I thought water was coming around the companionway but it is coming through the weep hole.

Would rebedding the teak side pieces help? Not sure how water gets in the hollow part of the companionway. It's the only thing I can think of doing.

mdidomenico

seems like an odd place for a weep hole.  i certainly don't have one on my '89.  maybe yours shouldn't either, perhaps a PO mod or something?
1989 Cat34 #856, original m-25xp

glennd3

Quote from: BobAthensGA on March 20, 2022, 08:23:13 PM
I know this post is a little old..... I have a 1988 C34 with the same companionway as pictured in this post. On the inside of the companionway there is a weep hole in the center of the fiberglass. This allows a small drip to drop right where the engine cover meets the companionway. This has caused some rot. Not bad but I need to fix it. I thought water was coming around the companionway but it is coming through the weep hole.

Would rebedding the teak side pieces help? Not sure how water gets in the hollow part of the companionway. It's the only thing I can think of doing.

Bob not sure where you say the weep hole is located. I do not believe that the boat would come with it. Where is the rot located? If the hole is where the leak is I would fill it first and see if the leak stops before rebedding the teak sides. My thoughts are than when you start with the sides it will lead to doing all the cockpit teak which may take a while and inhibit spring sailing. I would save that job for the fall.
Glenn Davis
Knot Yet
1990 Catalina 34 Mk 1.5
Hull 1053
TR/WK
M25XP
Patapsco River
Chesapeake Bay Maryland

Ron Hill

Bob : There is NO Weep Hole !!  There is a forward "weep slot" in each side track so the water can flow out of each companion way hatch track.  No weep hole back by there the hatch boards slide in!!

A thought

Ron, Apache #788