M35BC & M25XPB "hidden" engine fuel filter

Previous topic - Next topic

Ron Hill

While researching the question that Andre asked about "the fuel filter on my M35BC engine"  http://c34.org/bbs/index.php/topic,5965.0.html I found a surprise - they added another filter.

In the "past few years" Westerbeke added another fuel filter just before the aux fuel pump (lift pump).  It's between the fuel tank and the fuel pump on the engine.  It is part# 48076 and is NOT shown in any of the parts listing (Parts manual) !!

There is a label on it that reads "Westerbeke P/N 48076   80 micron fuel pump   Protection Filter  
Gasoline & Diesel Engines   Change Filter Annually"

Interesting.  Just wanted to let you all know.    :wink:
Ron, Apache #788

andre

Hi Ron on my boat i have a racor with a filter R15s before my pump, i don't know if it's the good model for my motor. I want to change the filter. Also i saw in my book ther are two model of fuel lift pump. One is round with a small filter inside and the other like of mine is square and no filter inside. Is it the filter what you talking about 80 micron. Thank you.
L'Apache hull#1377  1997 Quebec Canada universal 35bc

Stu Jackson

Andre,

Here is a link to a discussion on filters:  http://c34.org/bbs/index.php/topic,1124.0.html

I believe the R15 is a physically shorter model of the R filters mentioned in that link.

You can look them up in a West Marine catalog or online or Google Racor filters, I think it's part of the Parker Filter Company brand.
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

Steve Sayian

And don't buy Universal brand oil or on-engine fuel filters for big $$$.

Go to NAPA and get the NAPA 3390 Fuel filter and NAPA 1334 oil filter.

[Ed.  the NAPA 1356 oil filter also works, it's a tad shorter for tight clearances underneath the alternator on M25 series engines. Also written up in the May 1997 Mainsheet.  Stu  10/30/10]

I got both for less than 14.00 this year.  Bought a couple spare sets.

Steve Sayian
"Ocean Rose"
1999 Mk II
Wing, Std Rig, Kiwi Prop
#1448, Hingham, Mass

Ron Hill

Andre, Steve & Guys : I apologize for ever mentioning the micron size of the Racor filter, as Catalina has installed differant Racor filters over the years.  The main differences between Racor filter units is :
1. fuel flow rate  2. the micron filtration size of the filter  3. may or may not have a water seperator.

Follow Stu's post above on the Racor filters. 
I don't propose to be an expert on Racor filters and if you get confused like I do, I recommend that you call Racor (800)344-3286 and ask the "horses mouth" any Racor filter questions.  I have talked to their customer service dept myself and they are very helpful.    :!:    
Ron, Apache #788

Ken Heyman

Steve,

Since this thread morphed into oil filters, I thought I would comment. At a diesel seminar, it was suggested that one should stick to the engine mfg. suggested filter and avoid the "lower cost" option at Napa, Auto Zone etc. The speaker wasn't selling a particular brand but rather articulating quality and performance differences among the low vs. higher cost-better quality filters. As Ron/Stu might say--"your filter -your choice" or --"a thought'Ken
Ken Heyman
1988 c34 #535
"Wholesailor"
Chicago, Il

Ron Hill

Guys : If you want to talk about oil filters, I recommend that someone start a separate topic on just oil filters with a separate topic on fuel filters.

Ron, Apache #788

Stu Jackson

Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."