TV Cable receptical.

Previous topic - Next topic

Lance Jones

I read the post on the chap mounting the cable receptacle in the anchor locker. Is the only way to get to the anchor locker is by removing the forward V-berth bulkhead? I know several have said this is not a good idea. However, I am in fresh water and the anchor locker is the best location for this purpose for us.
Lance Jones
1988  C-34 Kitty's Cat
S/N 622

Ken Juul

Salt water or fresh, unless you can find a good way to keep it out of the elements I think you are in for corrossion problems in the future.

I think the reason you want it up front is for ease of connection when at the dock.  You will probably have your shore power cord in use.  Why don't you attach the tv cable to the shore power cord and put your boat end attachment in the cockpit where it is a bit more out of the elements.

Got some ideas, PM if interested
Ken & Vicki Juul
Luna Loca #1090
Chesapeake Bay
Past Commodore C34IA

Lance Jones

Thanks Ken,
However, I have found that the double doors will keep it more out of the weather than my current, but temporary solution (Going on 1 year). The cable is routed through the front hatch, over the starboard bow and to the unprotected quick disconnect (sort of) on the dock. According to the installer, keeping it under the anchor hatch would keep it out of the rain. When unplugged, the outlet will be covered by screw-on caps.

As to waves breaking over the bow -- not likely on Lake Lanier.
Lance Jones
1988  C-34 Kitty's Cat
S/N 622

Mike and Joanne Stimmler

The little storage cubbies in the cockpit, where you usually keep the winch handle would be a good place for it.
Mike and Joanne Stimmler
Former owner of Calerpitter
'89 Tall Rig Fin keel #940
San Diego/Mission Bay
mjstimmler@cox.net

waterdog

Another thing to think about is what changes will do to the resale value of a boat.   

Cable TV fitting in the anchor locker might work for you as a liveaboard on a lake.   But if I were buying and I saw a boat with a high frequency connection (most vulnerable to corrosion) in an anchor locker (one of the unkindest environments on most boats) I would probably walk away without looking at the rest of the boat.   To me it would be an indication that the boat would have a lot of electrical and other problems buried away waiting to haunt the next owner for years...

Steve Dolling
Former 1988 #804, BlackDragon - Vancouver BC
Now 1999 Manta 40 cat

Ron Hill

Lance : The anchor well is a VERY hostile environment to mount any electrical connection!!  There is always moisture - salt is worse than fresh, but moisture is always present (you think your 100 to 200ft of nylon road really ever dries out ??)!! 
If you have ANY electrical connection in there you'd better damn sure have a waterproof plug ! 
A thought 
Ron, Apache #788

Sundance

pogmusic,

I placed my cable receptacle in the anchor locker and it works great and is very convenient.  It has been there three years now and it still works great.  If corrosion builds up on it, I'll replace the $0.50 connector I used and go on my way for another 4-5+ years.  You do have to take the front panel off to install it, but it doesn't take long.  I ran the cable back to the nav station where the TV is located.  I have had no problem with water or corrosion. 
Jeff
2001 C34 #1581
"Sundance"
Sandusky, OH

Lance Jones

Thanks for all the advice! I'll consider all carefully. Waterdog, why would a cable, isolated from any & all other electrical systems and only used to run a TV signal 5 feet to the V-berth, indicate other electrical problems?
Lance Jones
1988  C-34 Kitty's Cat
S/N 622

waterdog

Quote from: pogmusic on August 24, 2010, 06:00:22 AM
Thanks for all the advice! I'll consider all carefully. Waterdog, why would a cable, isolated from any & all other electrical systems and only used to run a TV signal 5 feet to the V-berth, indicate other electrical problems?

I just view an anchor locker as the last place to put an electrical cable.   If someone deliberately puts one there, it makes me question what other things they have done to the rest of the electrical system.   Am I going to find bad connections, undersized wiring, hidden fuses, a rats nest behind the panel, autopilots tapped into lighting circuits and that kind of thing.   The point is the cable is not isolated from the rest of the electrical system - the same owner works on both. 

I don't mean to suggest that there's anything at all wrong with your electrical system!  In fact if a buyer reviews your partipation in this forum, willingness to question and get advice, would view your boat very favourably!

It's just that when we do unconventional things to a boat, it can affect a buyer's perception of the overall vessel.     That was my only point.     I've done a lot of unconventional things to my boat, and I always think of what impact they will have to a future buyer...
Steve Dolling
Former 1988 #804, BlackDragon - Vancouver BC
Now 1999 Manta 40 cat

Lance Jones

Good points Waterdog. I'd more than welcome a surveyor to look at my e-system -- many positive upgrades. ;) Seriously, if it would be an issue to a sale in a couple of years, I could remove the installation completely (and probably will).
Lance Jones
1988  C-34 Kitty's Cat
S/N 622

Susan Ray

Aloha Waterdog...where is your cable connection on your boat?
Aloha, Susan on "Stray" in the Ala Wai Harbor, Honolulu Hawaii

Stephen Butler

The PO placed a telephone and cable connection into the foreward cabin, on the starboard side, just over the hanging locker.  Quite a beautiful piece of chromed metal with a water tight seal when not in use.  Think it is a Marinco.  The fitting does not leak, even when in use and it is storming, and certainly not when we are underway and it is sealed.  Would suspect that most any location with the proper fitting, sealent, and use would work.
Steve & Nancy
Wildflecken II
1990, #1023