Sliding hatch removal

Previous topic - Next topic

Lance Jones

Ok, I've tried Teflon  tape, strips of aluminum in the tracks and our hatch not only squeeeeeks -- it screams! I want to pull the hatch, clean the tracks and start all over again. Ron, did you suggest a plastic/lexan type liner? Now for the question, I looked through the posts for sliding hatch and companion way hatch and can't find info on how to remove the hatch. I know that Stu or Ron will immediately respond with the correct info from a previously posted comment or article.  :D
Lance Jones
1988  C-34 Kitty's Cat
S/N 622

Jim Hardesty

Lance,
I did mine a couple of winters ago.  It was a real pain, but pretty simple.  I removed the traveler, a job in itself, then all the screws ( be sure mark positions  mine were different lengths), then cut the sealer around the seahood, then gently pried the seahood up. 
My hatch rubbed on the seahood and where it slides over the cabin top.  I sanded so it cleared both and only contacted on the tracks.   Reapplied Teflon tape.  Reassembled, then caulked.  Just caulk the seam when assembled, if you bed the seahood in to much it will be real difficult to remove next time.
The good news......it's worked great.....slides quietly and effortlessly.
Jim
Jim Hardesty
2001 MKII hull #1570 M35BC  "Shamrock"
sailing Lake Erie
from Commodore Perry Yacht Club
Erie, PA

Wayne

While I have a MKII, same problem and same solution.  The dealer pulled the seahood (twice!) and sanded to gain clearance.  It still isn't perfect, but at least very workable.
2006 MKII Hull # 1762
San Francisco, Ca

Ken Krawford

Ken Krawford
C350 Hull 351  2005 Universal M35B

lazybone

Lance,  you won't have to remove the traveller.  Drill out the wood bungs, remove screws and the wood should pop off by sliding a putty knife under it.   There's a few screws around the edge of the spray cover and that's it.
Ciao tutti

S/V LAZYBONES  #677

Ron Hill

Lance : You don't have to remove anything. 
I first tried strips of Aluminum and they worked for a period of time before the squealing returned.

Then I cut 1" x 60" strips of Lexan(polycarbonate) and that did the job.  Just slip them under the MKI sliding hatch cover, screw them in at the cockpit end and the noise is gone.  Did that 10?15? years ago and they are still doing their job today.
Do not try acrylic as I'm afraid it will crack like acrylic does and then you'll really have to take the hatch apart to solve that mess.
Ron, Apache #788

Lance Jones

Thanks all! Ron, I thought it was lexan. Thanks.
Lance Jones
1988  C-34 Kitty's Cat
S/N 622