GPS and Navigation Software Options

Previous topic - Next topic

Ron Hill

Stu : The map date on the laptop is great and I really liked it, but the laptop screen was only readable on the nav table (in the shade). 
The reason that I like the Garmin 545 is that it's at the helm where i need the data and is readable in full sunlight. 
Ron, Apache #788

Stu Jackson

That's one of those "I also don't feel the need to get into the advantages and disadvantages of laptops vs. handhelds vs. chartplotters.  Been there, done that."

That's because I've been sitting on our deck in direct sunlight and having NO trouble whatsoever in reading my laptop screen.  Even my son says, "Wow, what a neat screen!" when he sees my el-cheapo laptop at work.  It'll work under my dodger at high noon, but that is not the issue I'm trying to discuss here.  Thanks.
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

Stu Jackson

Quote from: horsemel on July 07, 2010, 02:06:33 PMOr, are you just using it as a back-up and/or planning tool at the nav station?

Yes.  Inputting routes and other items is much easier using the software than the GPS itself for my handheld.  I can download tracks, routes and waypoints and save them without cluttering up the screen on the GPS.
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

Stephen Butler

Per previous posts, we have been deciding the next step in electronic navigation.  We "lean" towards the pc/maptech solution and have been using our pc this summer....works great, but see 2 problems 1) pc not at the helm (which we would prefer), and 2) staying ahead of the rust that seems to form on the pc, inspite of taking precautions. Getting a weather resistant pc for use at the helm, or placing a large screen in the hatchway are some options...but then again, a 500 series Garmin may be the ticket.
Steve & Nancy
Wildflecken II
1990, #1023

rirvine

The ideal solution is an iPad running iNavx connected to the instrument systems by WiFi.  You can see more about the issues of Mac based laptop navigation at http://www.macsailing.net/fbb/index.php

Ray

Stu Jackson

pablosgirl

Hi Stu,

Just curious why you chose MapTech over some of the other software packages?

Paul
Paul & Cyndi Shields
1988 hull# 551 Tall Rig/Fin Keel
M25XP

Stu Jackson

Paul, Because I already have it.  I got it when I bought a Chart Kit for the area we sail in and it came with the disc.  I am aware of all the other resources and thought I'd start here.

Stu Jackson

Quote from: horsemel on July 07, 2010, 02:06:33 PM
It has gotten me to wondering how using a laptop in the cockpit works out.  How do you mount it?  How do you keep it dry?  Or, are you just using it as a back-up and/or planning tool at the nav station?

Mark, I'm only planning it to use downstairs and for backup and planning, not in the cockpit.  Most everything I've ever read says cockpits & laptops don't play well together.

Stu Jackson

For Terry

I was incorrect on a recent post of this topic.  My old Maptech was 5.06.  For $25, I upgraded to 5.08.  Haven't had much of a chance to play with it yet.

Herodotus

If you want to use your laptop in the cockpit, I'd suggest moseying on over to ebay and picking yourself up one of those Panasonic Toughbooks. I think you can get of them for a few hundred bucks.

Stu Jackson

herts -  I just bought a new laptop, first one in 15 years, so don't need another. :D  As previously noted, this topic was not intended to discuss the use of laptops in the cockpit (although my screen appears to be good enough for it) but rather the software, and software only for use down below.  What I've been doing is dropping my tracks from my Garmin GPSMap 76Cx onto my desktop computer.  I have BOTH the Garmin and the Maptech software.  With Babel I can mix and match, plus use the NOAA charts with Maptech for free without having to buy more charts from Garmin if I sail out of the area of coverage of charts that I have on my Garmin handheld.  That's the "design criteria" for my system.  

Thanks to this topic, I just purchased the BU-353 USB GPS dongle.  Nice under $40 price on Amazon, new.  Thanks again, guys.

MarkT

Stu:

Be sure to pry the magnet out of the base of that USB GPS. Easy to do with a small screwdriver.

Mark Tamblyn

Stu Jackson

Thanks, Mark, good advice.  Hate to lose that new hard drive with all those pesky charts! 8)

Stu Jackson

OK, kids.  Bought the BU-353 puck, did the software thing, got it working with the laptop and Maptech charts.  I peeled off the CE paper and the little rubber thing underneath it, and "exposed" the BIG magnet.  

Question of the day:  HOW DO YOU GET IT OUT?

Do I have to undo the six or more tiny screws on the body and push it out from the inside?

I did bring my tiny watchmaker's screwdrivers back home with me and the puck.

Brain surgery anyone?  

Thanks for the heads up about that magnet.  It pulled all of my dental fillings out of my mouth, and it was in my briefcase in the V berth and I was behind the wheel at the time!

What were they thinking with that magnet?  I don't have a refrigerator to post my photos with magnets on the door on Aquavite!!!