ST 4000 Autopilot clutch glitch

Previous topic - Next topic

Tony Benoit

Esteemed Forumites,

The clutch on my ST 4000 disengages itself when the autopilot is rotating the wheel in one direction (and not the other--I think it's clockwise but I could have it backwards).  The lever just slowly moves itself to the out position.  Then the motor turns but not the wheel.  I could keep a roll of vinyl tape handy, and tape the lever down.  But that could be tough if I have to disengage in a hurry.  (A roll of vinyl tape and a box cutter?  There's probably some solution that involves vise grips too ;>)

There's an Allen screw at the axle of the clutch lever.  Tightening it seemed to help a little (maybe), but did not solve the problem.

Have any of you seen this? 

Thank you,

Tony

Lance Jones

Tony,
Mine does the same thing. My stop gap measure is a bungee cord that provides enough tension to keep it engaged; but, is easy enough to over ride if I need to.
Lance Jones
1988  C-34 Kitty's Cat
S/N 622

Exodus

Mine is doing the same thing as well.  I had thought about trying some sort of bungee chord.  Surely there must be some fix without a jury rig.

Lance Jones

Lance Jones
1988  C-34 Kitty's Cat
S/N 622

Tony Benoit

Ah yes, bungee cord, duct tape's fancy sibling.

Thank you for the suggestion.  It will at least make the autopilot useable.  Ironically, I had the ST 4000 on today for a brief period, and the clutch stayed in place.  Maybe it only works in nice weather.

Tony
=======================
Helen C
'89 Standard/Wing #903

rirvine

You should check that the screw holding the engage / disengage level is very tight.  I have found that the auto pilot will disengage when this screw is not very tight so that the level can not move away from the indents that hold it engaged.

Ray

Michael Shaner

Tony,

I've experienced the same problem. Have a look at the foreward (pedestal) side of the housing that covers the wheel / drive assembly. There is an oblong hole just above the clutch lever. Give a good fresh water rinse in that hole while turning the wheel rudder stop to rudder stop. I do it after every trip. I believe its recommended to be done daily in the owner's manual...works for us. Hope it helps...
Michael & Alison Shaner

Bobg

happened to me 3 years ago briefly, and then again this weekend, it seems to happen after a rainfall, I contacted the company but could get no satisfactory answer, except they never heard of that before, I used a bungee cord yesterday and it worked. 
I like my 4000 but would never trust it as it does the crazy Ivan thing once in awhile.  Sometimes the compass is 90 to a hundred degrees from my pedestal compass, then next time I turn it on, it will be only be off by 10-15 in which case it works.
Bob Gatz, 1988 catalina 34, Hull#818, "Ghostrider" sail lake superior Apostle Islands