wiring diagram

Previous topic - Next topic

crieders

Given that the engine turns over very reluctantly and then suddenly pops to live after a few tried, I thought I would go around and check/tighten all the connections particularly the push on connector on top of the selenoid. Anyone have a diagram as to location of all the wiring to check. I have never been comfortable fooling with the electric system lest I make it worse, so any suggestions would be appreciated, as always.
Cliff Rieders, c34 tall rig, 1990, hull #1022

Ron Hill

Cliff : I'm sure that your starting problem is a poor connection.  I'd check each and every #4 red and black battery wire connector.  I've re-crimped and soldered all of my connections and have never had a problem in the past 22 years. 

If you still have a problem then look at the fuse & holder in the starter solenoid circuit.  All of the wiring diagrams may not be in your owners manual.  The wiring diagrams are also in our web site and in the Mainsheet tech notes.  Hope this helps. 
Ron, Apache #788

Fuzzy

Cliff:  If the engine is turning over slow it's probably not in the solenoid circuit but most likely in the "heavy" wiring circuits.
As mentioned check all connections and maybe solder the connections as well.
Larry
Larry G. Trumble
East Jordan, MI
Katarina
1987 #475

horsemel

Cliff, Ron et al are right.  I had the problem last year and took Ron's advice.  Cleaned and tightened the engine ground and "Voila!" no more problem.  Do that first.
Mark Mueller
Mark & Melinda Mueller
Blue Moon, Hull #815

jmnpe

Yes, the engine grounding spot of the M-25 is in a terrible spot, and almost everyone I've looked at on the older boats looks like a bad dream if someone hasn't cleaned them up properly along the way. After you remove all the lugs and clean everything up, including the block, be sure to give everything a light coating of Boeshield T-9 after you put it all back together tightly.

Even better is to remote the engine ground point away from the block a respectable distance. Run a single 4 or 2 gauge AWG minimum cable from the engine block attachment point to a ground distribution buss bar or Power Post. Then seal everything with the same light coat of T-9 when you are finished.

John

John Nixon
Otra Vez
1988 Hull # 728

crieders

Where exactly is that grounding location?
Cliff Rieders, c34 tall rig, 1990, hull #1022

Stu Jackson

Cliff, you follow the ground wire from the battery box back to the engine.  It is usually behind the alternator and starter, aft port side of the engine.
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

Ron Hill

Cliff : As Stu mentioned that main ground is on the port side(behind and just under the starter) to a bolt that holds the bell housing to the engine.  There is also a secondary wire ground on that same bolt from the engine instrument panel. 
Ron, Apache #788