cleaning lint stuck on teak

Previous topic - Next topic

Joe and Carol

Our boat has very light lint fuzz stuck to the interior teak walls.  How do we remove this fuzz?  It isn't noticeable unless the sunlight shine directly on it.  It looks like sunbeam lint stuck to the teak.   I do not want to change the color and do not want to refinish.  Any suggestions appreciated.
Joe & Carol Pyles

YatchaSea
1987 Catalina 34 TR
Hull #244

Sailing Stockton Lake, Missouri

pablosgirl

Hi Joe and Carol,

Is your interior teak oiled?  I am guessing that it is and the very light lint fuzz is from the cloth used to apply the teak oil.  I would first try using a tack cloth and lightly wipe the teak in an inconspicuous area to see if that will remove the lint.  If that does not do the trick, try rubbing a little harder, again in an inconspicuous area.  If that did not work, the next thing to try wiping down the teak with Murphy's oil soap.  I use this on the pecan paneling in my den at home and it does not damage the stain finish but does a great job of removing the dust.  If this still does not work, you could use a fine finish scotch bright pad and wipe softly followed by wiping with a tack cloth to remove whatever the scotch bright pad knocked loose.  The next thing to try would be a very fine bronze wool, say a ### or ##### grade, again in an inconspicuous test area. 

Anything that you try should be in an out of the way area, say an area of the bulkhead behind the settee bottom seat cushion to insure you like the result before you launch into the whole boat.  You may also want to contact a couple of boat refinishing professionals to get there opinions as well.

Paul Shields
Paul & Cyndi Shields
1988 hull# 551 Tall Rig/Fin Keel
M25XP

Stu Jackson

Joe, KISS.  Buy some teak oil, use an old towel and re oil it.
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

RV61

Joe and Carol,
I started using lint free microfiber cloths to apply nd rub out the teak oil :thumb:
Rick
Rick V
Interlude
1986 Hull #237
Lake Erie