crankcase ventilation-air filter

Previous topic - Next topic

cmainprize

The M35 and M25 have a crankcase ventilation hose running from the top of the rocker cover that ends at or near the air filter assembly.  The system allows a small (or large) amount of oil contained in the vented air to drip out of the hose onto the engine or engine room floor. PIA

Many members have posted thoughts on sticking the hose into the filter so the oil is burned by the engine or into a can to be drained later.  Pros and cons to both solutions.

Our solution was to install a oil separator designed for crankcase ventilation from jegs.  The separator was $40 plus shipping and purchased on line.  We routed the hose from the rocker cover nipple to the separator and then from the separator into the filter.  The separator has a see through bowl that can be drained when the oil level rises.

The system works great, no increase in crankcase backpressure and the diesel smell seems to have dissipated.

Picture attached
Cory
Cory Mainnprize
Mystic
Hull # 1344
M35
Midland Ontario

learjetzz

Awesome going to do it this weekend ! :clap :clap , it'll complete may engine bay .

Thanks for the GREAT Idea .

SeaFever

Cory,

I second that sentiment. Great idea  :clap.

Could you post a link to the online store where you purchased the oil separator?

Thanks.
Mahendra, Sea Fever, Pearson 10M, #43, Oakland, CA

cmainprize

The address below is for the oil separtor from jegs.  

http://www.jegs.com/i/JEGS/555/52205/10002/-1

Cory
Cory Mainnprize
Mystic
Hull # 1344
M35
Midland Ontario

Jim Hardesty

Cory
I installed the crankcase ventilator just as you did.  I think that that cured my strange odor problem.  The odor only bothered me, I described it as a bug spray smell, I would ask others some said that they could smell something but it didn't bother them.  It did me, a lot.
Went out for a daysail Tuesday and the wind died and motored back for 2 hours, I didn't run the motor ventilation fan on purpose.  Put my nose in the aft cabin and didn't smell the odor that had been bugging me.  I think the problem is solved.   :thumb:
Thanks for sharing.
Jim
Jim Hardesty
2001 MKII hull #1570 M35BC  "Shamrock"
sailing Lake Erie
from Commodore Perry Yacht Club
Erie, PA

Roc

Jim,
You have the same engine as I do, M35B.  Would be interested in how this ventilator has been working for you.  Did you notice any engine performance issues/changes?  Also, Cory routed his hose what looks like to be a hard connection right into the filter housing.  How did you route it on your M35B?

Thanks!  :D
Roc - "Sea Life" 2000 MKII #1477.  Annapolis, MD

scotty

Thanks.  I've been thinking about what to do on my boat.  I was going to rig a line to the bilge, but this is a much better solution.
Scotty

hump180

I had rigged a solution, but this one is much better. I just recieved my oil separator in the mail and will install over the winter thanks to this post.
Bill, Grace Under Pressure, 1990, M-25XP #1026
Western Lake Erie

Ken Juul

I'll be very interested in seeing how much oil you actually collect.  Please come back and post the number of hours it takes to fill the seperator.  I'm guessing maybe once a season.

I just love the creativity.  I didn't even know they existed.  Great project!
Ken & Vicki Juul
Luna Loca #1090
Chesapeake Bay
Past Commodore C34IA

cmainprize

Hi Guys
It's great to see others have liked my post.  I put about 50 hours on the engine since the install and collected about 1/4 inch in the separator.  The engine compartment remains clean and the hot oil smell is gone.  Great result for thirty bucks.  If you notice in the picture I used white teflon tape to seal the fittings.  This was all I had at the time, I have since changed it to the yellow (oil resistant) stuff. 
Cory Mainnprize
Mystic
Hull # 1344
M35
Midland Ontario

Jim Hardesty

I did the vent filter this spring.  I am pleased with the results.  Mid season, before a 2 week cruise, I dumped about 1 tablespoon, at seasons end about 2.  My total engine hours were 86.  The air filter foam is still clean from this spring.  I think that I could go from oil change to oil change (100 hours) before emptying, but it is so easy I'll just do it more often.
After a season, I count this as one of the best changes.  The odd smell that only seemed to bother me is gone.
Jim
Jim Hardesty
sailing Lake Erie
Erie, PA

Roc

Thanks Jim...more questions.... how did you route the hose up to the filter?  Also, did you splice the hose into the unit by using a hose barb mated to the existing breather hose?  The end of that hose is cut on an angle to make it flush with the filter.  Curious how you installed the unit in the M35B set up.  A picture would help if it's not too much trouble.

Roc-
Roc - "Sea Life" 2000 MKII #1477.  Annapolis, MD

Jim Hardesty

My installation isn't much differnt than Cory.   Just used the standard air filter, got a mpt to barb fitting, drilled the outside plate on the filter to thread the fitting into used silicon sealer.
Jim
Jim Hardesty
sailing Lake Erie
Erie, PA