How much bottom paint for a 1988 wing keel?

Previous topic - Next topic

foobie

Can I get away with a gallon? or should I plan on an additional quart to finish up the job and hit the stand spots? 

Steve Eckfield

sailingdream

Jeff Kimbel

I just painted my 87 wing keel last month, and for one coat, you'll be glad you have the extra quart.  With two gallons, I was able to put 2 complete coats on.

Jeff

Ron Hill

Steve : You can get by with a gallon for 1 coat.
Just remember the old Chinese saying, " The more paint that you put on - is more paint to take off"!

If you are using ablative on the hull and the top of the wing consider using hard paint on the underside of the wing.  That's for "a just in case you brush the bottom"!

If you talk to the marina owners and let them lift you at the end of the work day, you can stay in the sling overnight and be the first one to be splashed the next AM.  That sure helps to let the paint on the bottom of the wing and the jack stand pads really get dry.   A few thoughts

Ron, Apache #788

tommyt

I am with Sailingdream, so it sounds like 2 quarts for fresh water and 5 qts for salt. I like fresh water!
Tom Mallery, C34 #1697, 2004 MKII, Splash Dance

foobie

Thanks all!

Ron - Brush the bottom in the Northern Chesapeake? Nahhh... that NEVER happens!  :D

I'll gladly take your great advise on the hard paint for the bottom and the last boat in the sling! Thank you!

As always >this< board is invaluable!

Steve Eckfield

Clay Greene

I agree with two gallons for two coats.  We usually dip into the second gallon to finish the first coat and the second coat does not use as much paint.  Be careful about the thickness of the roller if you are rolling it on.  Too thick and you will waste a lot of paint. 
1989, Hull #873, "Serendipity," M25XP, Milwaukee, Wisconsin

pablosgirl

Foobie,

I have a 1988 fin keel and I use one gallon per coat. 

If you DIY, you can do the job in a long weekend. Pull boat Fri after noon and pressure wash and scrape hull.  Sat morning sand to "key" surface and do any blister repair.  Apply a coat of paint and let dry 4 hour.  Apply second coat and let dry over night.  Sun morning move stands one at a time, placing wax paper between hull and stand pad.  Sand former pad areas and apply first coat of paint.  Wait 4 hours apply second coat of paint.  Try to coax the marina to put the boat in the travel lift slings before they go home for the evening and sand paint the bottom of the keel.  Mon morning come early to be the first launch.

Paul & Cyndi Shields
1988 hull# 551 Tall Rig/Fin Keel
M25XP

Stephen Butler

Will join the crowd and say that for a fin keel, 2 coats takes 2 gallons.  Have done the hull three times since purchase and always the same.
Steve & Nancy
Wildflecken II
1990, #1023