clay vs. duct tape

Previous topic - Next topic

horsemel

Last year i reset my stanchions and one of my chain plates.  I drilled them out oversized and then filled them with epoxy.  Everybody says to use duct tape to cover the backs of holes so that the epoxy stays put.  We had some issues with the stuff migrating out of the edge of the tape. Tried a couple of different brands with the same result.  I read recently, I think in a Boat US publication, that said to use modeling clay for the purpose.  Has anybody tried that and, if so, what were the results.
Mark Mueller
Mark & Melinda Mueller
Blue Moon, Hull #815

learjetzz

clay or aluminum tape works , clean with acetone , buff off residue , apply clay or tape and proceed
Good Luck.

Jim Hardesty

Just did it.  I used the blue masking tape.  Worked great, you just need to inject real slow so no air pockets.  On a related note.  In my oppion the fender washers are not the best idea for back up.  Some of them were bent in and deformed the inside.  I got backing plates from Garhauser, didn't cost too much.
Jim
Jim Hardesty
2001 MKII hull #1570 M35BC  "Shamrock"
sailing Lake Erie
from Commodore Perry Yacht Club
Erie, PA

Sundance

Last weekend I began the holding tank vent stanchion project, over drilled, removed any wet core, and filled.  I used duct tape and it worked pretty well, a very small amount came out.  That being said, two questions:

1.  Before I head to the boat, what size is the vent that goes through the deck?  I need to buy the bit before I get to the boat.

2.  Jim, how did you order backing plates, did you have to call Garhauser?  Were they a stock item, or did they already have a pattern and simply made them?  What did they cost, not too much on a boat has many meanings?
Jeff
2001 C34 #1581
"Sundance"
Sandusky, OH

Lance Jones

Jeff,
I believe that Catalina Direct sells the backing plate too.
Lance Jones
1988  C-34 Kitty's Cat
S/N 622

Stu Jackson

Jeff, the hose is 5/8", but that's inside diameter.  Get  a few different sized bits near that size, return the ones you don't use, or keep 'em in your toolbox.
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

Sundance

Lance,

You are correct, it does appear Catalina Direct sells the backing places.  Thanks!  And they are cheap, $5.95.

http://www.catalinadirect.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=product.display&product_ID=1068

It says the bolt pattern changed sometime around 1990 and that the vented backing plate is for the newer vented stanchion model.  Has anyone modified this to fit the older stanchion model?  The picture shows multiple holes, but I am not sure if this is to accommodate both versions or of there is another reason?
Jeff
2001 C34 #1581
"Sundance"
Sandusky, OH

Jim Hardesty

Jeff,
I called Garhauser, the price was $4 ea.  I think that they are just the base before assembly of the stantions.
Jim
Jim Hardesty
2001 MKII hull #1570 M35BC  "Shamrock"
sailing Lake Erie
from Commodore Perry Yacht Club
Erie, PA

Sundance

Thanks for the input.  I ordered both backing plates, I figure if the "new" one fits, great, I have a spare backing plate for another stanchion, if the new one doesn't fit, I will drill out the "old" version of the backing plate to create a place for the vent and a lucky, post 1990, C34 owner will get a free backing plate. :thumb:
Jeff
2001 C34 #1581
"Sundance"
Sandusky, OH

Ron Hill

Guys : Garhauer is the place to get the stainless backing plates for the vented stanchons.  They already have the hole for the vent, centered correctly and already drilled.  The other places like Catalina Direct  have the backing plates for the other (solid) stanchons.

I believe that the vented hoses for the port side holding tank and the starboard water tank are for 1/2" hose.  Been there done that!

I believe that either tape or clay will hold the epoxy until it's set, but that inside surface MUST be clean.  A thought
Ron, Apache #788