Fresh Water pump

Previous topic - Next topic

Jack Hutteball

I just found my fresh water pump leaking (I assume fresh water, it's the upper Sheerwood)which is surprising since I just hit 100 hours on the engine meter.  Is this normal?  Water is comming from the holes near the back of the pump. Are there replacable seals inside, or is this a pump replacement project?
Jack and Ruth Hutteball
Mariah lll, #1555, 2001
Anacortes, Washington

Stu Jackson

Jack,

To view the internal components of your pump, try this site.

http://www.marinedieseldirect.com/universal/200142/

It includes individual parts blowups.

The seals can be replaced.  It requires removing the pump.  You can do it yourself, or have a shop do it.  You can also purchase a new pump, repair the old one and have an instant backup.

Additional information on raw water pumps can be found using the search engines on this message board and the C34 wbsite, they're two separate search engines.

From your description it is unclear whether it's your raw water (sea water) pump or the fresh water pump.  The fresh water pump is more or less inside the engine, whereas the raw water pump is mounted on the outside, and is NOT driven by a belt.

Both pumps are shown on the referenced website, the fresh water pump is called Water Pump.  The raw water pump is Sherwood and Sherwood NEW.
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

Norris Johnson

I had a problem with my Sherwood Raw water pump. It was documented on this site almost a year ago. Your pump sounds like my raw water pump. It is driven by the engine cam shaft. The fresh water pump is belt-driven. I wish my raw water pump was belt-driven.

I let my leak go too long and the shaft to the pump seazed-up and it broke the "dogs" off of the cam shaft (bad design). Westerbeke sent me the parts (free of charge: they know they have a problem) and I did the work myself. They included a sleeve to put over the joint where the dog on the cam shaft joints the dog on the pump shaft. Don't attempt this if you don't have any mechancial experience because it requires pulling the heads.

The leak in the bearing and seal housing that goes to the water pump is your only way of knowing the seal have failed and trouble is in your future.

#1408 Mariposa
Norris Johnson
Paisano
Catalina 36 MkII 95
Hitchcock, Texas

Jack Hutteball

I hope I am not confused on what I am looking at.  I have the M35 diesel and the pump that is leaking is belt driven. I looked at the website you directed me to Stu.  It shows a belt driven pump high on the front of the engine that is labeled fesh water pump.  I assume there is no shaft running inside from the engine.  Water is coming from holes on the back/bottom side of this pump. I could not find a parts blowup of this pump on the website, although they have a fresh water pump listed on their parts catalog. I will pull it off and see what it looks like from behind.  Thanks for the help.
Jack and Ruth Hutteball
Mariah lll, #1555, 2001
Anacortes, Washington

Norris Johnson

I have a M35B Universal. My fresh water pump is at the top of the engine and has a metal impeller. Sounds like you may have a gasket leak. The water leaking out should be 50/50 anti-freeze and it should be the color of the anti-freeze. Should be an easy fix.

Norris Johnson
Paisano
Catalina 36 MkII 95
Hitchcock, Texas

Norris Johnson

Oh yeah, check your hose connections.
Paisano
Catalina 36 MkII 95
Hitchcock, Texas

Ken Juul

I have no experience with the M35, however the fresh water pump on the 25xp is very similiar to water pumps used on cars.  The seals are not normally replaceable on them without a variety of tools and presses.  Most common cause of car type water pumps failing/leaking is having the belt too tight causing excessive side loading.  Checking the hoses is a great tip, many times water seeping out of them weeps down the case causing the leak to appear a distance away from the hose.  Sorry I can't provide specific help, just food for thought.
Ken & Vicki Juul
Luna Loca #1090
Chesapeake Bay
Past Commodore C34IA

Jack Hutteball

Thanks for all the info.  It is definately comming from holes in the upper pump on the engine, pully driven.  I did check hoses and none are leaking.  I have never adjusted the belt tension, came from the dealer as is last summer.
Jack and Ruth Hutteball
Mariah lll, #1555, 2001
Anacortes, Washington

Jack Hutteball

Thanks for all the imput out there.  It turned out to be the raw water pump seals leaking.  I called my dealer who sent a mechanic out immediately, diagnosed the problem, and can you believe, replaced it under warranty all in the same day!  They are even an hour away from my slip.  I would have to say Catalina and their dealer network has been very responsive to any little problem on my boat.
Jack and Ruth Hutteball
Mariah lll, #1555, 2001
Anacortes, Washington

tassber2

I had to replace my Sherwood raw water pump last month after 340 engine hours.  It seems we should get better longevity from these pumps.

Stu Jackson

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by tassber2:
                              I had to replace my Sherwood raw water pump last month after 340 engine hours.  It seems we should get better longevity from these pumps.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Mike,

What was the nature of the problem with your pump, seals, impeller, etc.?              

It may be appropriate for you to start a new topic, since this one has dealt with "freash" (internal coolant) pumps, and the Sherwood is the raw water pump.

Please let us know what you found and how you fixed it.

Good news, Jack.  And it was the raw water pump seals, right?
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

Norris Johnson

So the new M35B engines have a belt-driven raw water pump. I hope so. I will contact them about getting the brackets, hoses, belt,etc. for a conversion kit.

Norris Johnson
Paisano
Catalina 36 MkII 95
Hitchcock, Texas

Stu Jackson

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Norris Johnson #1408 1998 "Mariposa":
                              So the new M35B engines have a belt-driven raw water pump. I hope so. I will contact them about getting the brackets, hoses, belt,etc. for a conversion kit.

Norris Johnson<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Norris

Don't try it.  It doesn't exist.

There was a confusion on Jack's part about the naming of the pumps.

The lAST thing anyone would want to do is to put a belt drive on the raw water pump.

To paraphrase: GUYS, let's get real.

Stu

Jack Hutteball

To clarify to all, the mechanic said it was the raw water pump seals leaking. I have not been back to the boat yet to look at the new pump.  It is the middle one driven by a shaft from the engine. There was enough water thrown around there to appear it was comming from the upper pump.
Jack and Ruth Hutteball
Mariah lll, #1555, 2001
Anacortes, Washington

Norris Johnson

Jack,
Thanks for straighting us out.

Stu,

Thanks for the warning. The reason I don't like what they have now: I've repaired 2 of these. Both shaft "dogs" were broken inside of the engine. The heads had to be pulled and the camshafts had to be replaced. One boat was a 99 with 25 hrs on the engine. The other was mine, a 98 with 175 hrs. I prefer the pump to be engine driven, but they have the female end of the dog on the cam. That is the weak point. The weak point should be on the pump shaft. They did provide a sleeve to slip over the connection (dogs).

Sorry about the long explaination.
Norris
Paisano
Catalina 36 MkII 95
Hitchcock, Texas