Louvered teak doors

Previous topic - Next topic

Jack Hutteball

I am going to install louvered teak doors in several places on our MKll to get at some of the unused spaces.  Have any of you out there used Thai Teak Marine for cabinet doors?  What about quality and delivery.  Testimonials look good and prices are excellent.

Thanks in advance,
Jack
Jack and Ruth Hutteball
Mariah lll, #1555, 2001
Anacortes, Washington

Craig Illman

Jack - I got my salon table and cockpit table from them. Quality was fine, shipment took six weeks that was expected to take three. It was around Christmas two years ago. I need to mention that both tables were veneer, that wasn't obvious from their website.

Craig

Jim Hardesty

Jack,
This is something that I have been considering.  Please post your project here.  I'm interested in finding out just how much more storage you can find.
Jim
Jim Hardesty
2001 MKII hull #1570 M35BC  "Shamrock"
sailing Lake Erie
from Commodore Perry Yacht Club
Erie, PA

Rick Johnson

Jack,

I've been considering buying 6 louvered doors from Thai Teak for use in the main cabin.  I would be interested in your experience and where else I might find storage space in my C34.

Cheers,

Rick
Rick Johnson, #1110, 1990, s/v Godspeed, Lake Travis, TX

Ron Hill

This should be an interesting thread, as the interiors of these C34s are slightly differant ! 

Won't you all please post Pictures of the final product. 
Ron, Apache #788

Steve Sayian

Guys,

I just ordered 2 custom made doors from H&L Marine in Ca (they are the OEM door makers) that I'm going to install in the space under the vee berth.

I'm removing the drawer in the vee and adding another door to the starboard side.

The inside door dimensions are: 26x10 for the large door and 8x10 for the starboard door.
Outside dimensions are 13x29 for the large and 11x13 for the starboard side.

The large door is a continuous opening for max access.

I should have them next week and will post pictures as well as the dimensional drawing. 

Both doors are solid teak and I hade 1/8 inch grooves routed in for ventialtion.  The also have the piano hinge installed.  They do not have any finish non them but are sanded and ready for it.

Total cost with shipping from CA to Mass was $276.52.  The large door was $166.00, the small was $92.50 and shipping (UPS) was $18.02.

I still have to get the opening hardware from Catalina Direct and they are $25.00 each.

One thing that I will say about H&L is that they are very difficult to work with.  You have to be extremely persistent to get them to do the job.  I started this project with them in the middle of January and am just now getting the doors. 

Steve
Steve Sayian
"Ocean Rose"
1999 Mk II
Wing, Std Rig, Kiwi Prop
#1448, Hingham, Mass

Ron Volk

Jack,

I ordered various items from Thai Teak Marine a few months back and found the teak I received was very good quality and Don Petrie who you email through was very good and responsive.  I ordered 4 - 12" x 12" louvered doors and the associated hardware for them which I installed under the V berth.  Since I was ordering the doors I also ordered a magazine rack, pencil & divider holder, and a combination drink & binocular holder which holds my binoculars, air horn and a flashlight. There are 3 shipping options & I used the 'SAL MAIL' which is a combined air/surface delivery.  From the time they receive your check they claim it takes about 3 weeks for delivery and I received the items about 5 days after the 3 weeks time.

Ron
Ron - GOOSE III - Hull 1235 - 1993
Tall Rig - Fin Keel
Dana Point, CA

Ron Hill

Guys, Susan and D. Gill : Word of Caution
Just remember that the vertical fiberglass piece at the salon end of the Vberth is a structural bulkhead.  You need to leave enough fiberglass in place (around the teak door/drawer cut outs you are making) that it's still structurally sound.   A thought
Ron, Apache #788

Jack Hutteball

Ron, I am a little slow with your description of the structural bulkhead.  Are you describing the face at the head of the V birth with the drawer installed in it?
Jack
Jack and Ruth Hutteball
Mariah lll, #1555, 2001
Anacortes, Washington

Ron Volk

Jack,

The reason I added the doors was because we couldn't get anything large stored under the V berth due to the depth of the existing drawer.  I used the exact design laid out by Dan Harrington under his ' improved V berth storage' article.  (Look under 'Tech Wiki' - 'Storage' - 'Louvered doors in V berth' artice.)  I then bought two proper sized rubbermaid like, hard rubber storage bins about 16" high and cut out the fronts to match the door opening since the bottom of the door openings are only about 10" high, but left the sides & back high.  This give us over twice as much room for clothes storage (his & hers) compared to the old drawer.  Since I have a slatted wood floor glassed under the V berth I then screwed the two baskets to the flooring and they are very solid. The port side bin goes just about to the bulkhead so we use the port door opening for all our spare deck shoes, shower shoes & boots & they stay in place.  We have an extra 150 & an Asym. Spinn. and now they fit under under the V berth and can be stored and removed with ease.

Ron
Ron - GOOSE III - Hull 1235 - 1993
Tall Rig - Fin Keel
Dana Point, CA

Tom Soko

Jack and others,
You might want to give a call to Ken in parts at the Largo plant.  I recently spoke with him, and he said that he found the "mother load" of teak parts in some seldom used part of the factory.  Some of it dates back to the Morgan days.  He is just starting to categorize it and eventually it will go into an ad in Mainsheet.  I was able to get a 16x18 teak louvered door for a VERY reasonable price.
Tom Soko
"Juniper" C400 #307
Noank, CT

Ron Hill

Jack : Yes, I'm talking about the vertical face of the Vberth with the drawer mounted in it.  Just make sure that there is still structure remaining after you add drawers/doors.  A thought
Ron, Apache #788

Lance Jones

I'm really surprised that Stu or Ron hasn't piped in with "Look at the wiki for storage ideas." So, I'll pipe in with "Look at the wiki for storage ideas." There are very few spaces on both the Mk I & Mk II that haven't been covered there. I found loads of available storage space on Kitty's Cat that were covered on the Wiki page. Great resource. We now return to our regular programming.  :D
Lance Jones
1988  C-34 Kitty's Cat
S/N 622