Single handing & Bull Rails

Previous topic - Next topic

Jim Hardesty

I enjoy single hand sailing.  My Catalina 34 MKll is a great boat, but I find single handing a bit of a fire drill.  I do use the autopilot but that is controlled at the aft starboard, aft of the big wheel and all the sail controls are forward of the wheel. 
My question is.  What additions or changes have others done to make single handing better?
Jim
Jim Hardesty
2001 MKII hull #1570 M35BC  "Shamrock"
sailing Lake Erie
from Commodore Perry Yacht Club
Erie, PA

Stu Jackson

Jim, pretty much NONE.  The ONLY thing I did was to put the autopilot control head in line with the wheel so I can adjust it from either behind or in front of the wheel. I spend most of my time in front of the wheel.

However, you might recall Steve Dolling's 1500 Mile Report (http://c34.org/bbs/index.php/topic,5270.0.html) and he mentioned that he didn't even install his AP remote because they could adjust the AP by just reaching around.

Everything else on the boat is exactly where each of them needs to be.
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

Lance Jones

I ignore Mr. Otto and simply sit forward of the helm. I keep the wheel lock firm but usable. Everything else is as installed.
Lance Jones
1988  C-34 Kitty's Cat
S/N 622

Ron Hill

Jim : If you had a MK I, I'd add one more requirement beside the autopilot - needed to single hand.  That would be "Lazy Jacks" so you can easily drop the main (and the sail stays contained) when it's time to take it down.

Don't undersell the auto pilot.  It sure is nice to be able to go below for a short time and get another cool one or relieve yourself.  I just don't trust "Lance's" wheel brake to steer as well as my auto pilot!  Maybe that's why most of the males found, that have fallen overboard, are reported to have their flys open!!

I'm sure that most (if not all) of the MK IIs have in-the-mast furling for the mainsail.  
A few thoughts.
Ron, Apache #788

Bob Kuba

Jim,

I have a wired remote for my autohelm that is mounted on a quick release bracket on the starboard side of the companionway. I am able to stand on the top stair, protected by the dodger, and control the boat from there. It has all the same readouts as my pedestal instruments; wind speed and direction, boat speed, depthmeter, xtrack error, and even the ability to tack.

I find it useful getting the boat dead into the wind when raising the main. It's also great for staying out of the weather without losing the ability to make course corrections on days when the weather is less than ideal.

And I know this will sound crazy, but I also use it to make course adjustments when I am at the mast setting the cruising spinnaker. It has a 25 foot long cord that will easily stretch to the bow. Granted, that the conditions have to be ideal for me to singlehand the cruising spinnaker, but I find the remote very useful.

When I bought the boat from the previous owner, the connection jack was installed, but the remote was not part of the sale. I had to go and buy it myself, and now I understand why. I don't think I'll give mine up either, it would be hard to part with.

Bob Kuba, C34IA Past Commodore

Lance Jones

Ron,
When I need to use the head single handing, I lock it down tight and go down to pee. If I have to do the other, oh welllllllll.
Lance Jones
1988  C-34 Kitty's Cat
S/N 622

Stu Jackson

Quote from: pogmusic on January 25, 2010, 11:18:47 AM
If I have to do the other, oh welllllllll.

That's why they invented the HEAVE TO.
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

Lance Jones

Lance Jones
1988  C-34 Kitty's Cat
S/N 622

Michael Shaner

I never thought I'd hear the words "single handing" and "spinnaker" used in the same sentence...nice Bob!!  :thumb: :thumb: I've definately been demoted to "aspiring sailor"...

I thought the most difficult aspect of single handing was docking. Departure...arrival...didn't matter...just docking. And there always seemed to be a crowd... :donno: :D :D

...but then a while back I bought this this 34 foot boat with no windlass and put a Manson Supreme on the bow... :think

Michael & Alison Shaner

Stu Jackson

Good point about docking.

The trick, assuming you have any kind of finger pier/dock on at least one side of the boat, is the midship spring line.

Here are some examples of what other skippers have done:  Midship Spring Line Cleats:  http://c34.org/bbs/index.php/topic,4921.0.html

Tom Glennon

I just had to add my two cents regarding the handling of the 34 with fin keel....
I find this boat to handle like a dinghy!! The responsiveness is fantastic, and I have had no problems singlehandedly putting her between two large stink pots at the gas dock, much to the anxiety of their Capt'ns!!   :clap
Tom Glennon, Slow Dance #354, 1987, Buzzards Bay, Massachusetts

Michael Shaner

...but can you get the hook off the bottom?

windlass on the way... :santa
Michael & Alison Shaner

Ken Juul

two days and 10 posts, I can't believe someone hasn't given him the answer.

Add a drink holder to your pedestal guard....then you will have two hands instead of one :D

Sorry Jim, I know that's not what you were looking for....couldn't help myself.
Ken & Vicki Juul
Luna Loca #1090
Chesapeake Bay
Past Commodore C34IA

Ron Hill

Michael : I find "setting" the anchor when you are single handing is more difficult than getting it "retrieved".
Docking : I find is about the same.  
There's always someone to catch the bow line and seldom anyone there to catch the stern line.  So the person at the wheel has to steer, throttle, shift and secure the stern line.  
That's why you'll learn to use the midships line when ever you can - especially if there is current and/or wind.
Ron, Apache #788

Joe and Carol

The key to my single handing is organization.  I prepare a mental checklist based on the outing and place everything possible needed where I can either reach it or see it.  This includes all sail lines reaching the helm station, tools which may be needed, safety items, etc. ( a Handheld VHF is a must ). I include a line trailing the sailboat and comfort items such as food and drink.  Once while single handing I had to untangle a bundled line on a winch.  But I had planned for such a happening.  Leaving and returning to the dock must be well planned so you can do it by yourself.  The days spent single handing our 34 have been some of the most rewarding sailing experienced.
Joe & Carol Pyles

YatchaSea
1987 Catalina 34 TR
Hull #244

Sailing Stockton Lake, Missouri