1986 Cata 34

Previous topic - Next topic

Tom P, IMPULSE #233, '86

Does anyone have info regarding the original selling price (base price) of a 1986 Catalina 34' std keel, tall rig???  
Any idea of what options were avail and their assoc costs, or what the "nicely equipped model went for back then???
Thanks in Advance,
Tom P.

SteveLyle

In Practical Sailors's  review of the Cat 34 they included a graph of the price of an '86 fin (no mention of rig).  It looks on the chart like the price was a bit above $50k.  This was for the base boat with no options. (so I guess that means the std rig).

Same article (written in '90) says the '90 base price was $58,895, with a well equipped boat at $75,999.

c34member

I have the 12/85 issue of Sail that features the C-34 in the Just Launched column.  It was reported as $45,995 less sails and electronics.  In comparison, the then new Sabre 34 was given as $79,800 less sails and cradle.

PS  The C-34 got a good review.

Stu Jackson

Charlie

It would be interesting for the C34 Community to be able to read that article, if for nothing else than at least for old times sake.

Could you get it scanned and send it to Mark Elkins, the new C34 Projects and FAQ assistant webmaster, and perhaps he could get it up on the website?

Thanks,  Stu
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

c34member

Stu,

I am all for it.  I'll have to find someone with a scanner first.  I will also contact Sail for their blessing to reproduce the article.  CY&MA.

Tom P, IMPULSE #233, '86

First off, I'd like to thank everyone for their response...

Secondly, I'd proudly like to announce that I am only a survey away from owning a 1986 Catalina 34' which has been well maintained...

And third, I purchased a copy of the "Practical Sailor" Catalina 34 review of which I can scan and e-mail; however, it is for the 1991 model and I believe Practical Sailor would have to approve in order to post it on this board...Please e-mail me and let me know what you would like to do---"sailfast_1999@yahoo.com".

Thanks Again,
Tom

Al Lohman

I have the original suggested price list and order form for 86 catalina 34 which includes price of base boat plus list and price of options available.
Base price $46,995
Sails Main $825
Sails 150% genoa for furling $1445
Furling Gear $1595
Safety package $445
Refrig  $855
2 burner CNG $795 a stove came standard, but assuming it was alchol, the CNG was an upgrade
Shoal Draft $795
Cockpit Dodger $950
Knotmeter $395

Stu Jackson

It's understandable in the business world about copyrights and all that stuff.

We're not doing that.

Catalina doesn't ask if we can copy or reprint their stuff.

Sail magazine from 1492 is public domain. Older material from Practical Sailor is pretty good about that, too.  Please also refer to my link to the head odors that Webmaster Dave Smith tacked onto the website.

Please don't hesitate to pass on good and valuable information.  I believe that it's just not an issue (no pun intended, I think).

Just think of it as an email "attachment" with wider distribution.
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

Stu Jackson

Charlie was kind enough to send me a copy of the Sail magazine article.  Thanks, Charlie.  I'm on the road now, but when I return to the office, I'll send it to Mark and you can all read the nicely written article that tells us what we already know:  great boat!

SteveLyle

are you back in the office yet?  I'm looking fwd to reading the review when you get a chance to post it.  

BTW - the cd arrived, all in one piece this time.  Thanks.

Steve

Stu Jackson

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Steve Lyle, #75 1986, "Sewanee Belle":
                              In Practical Sailors's  review of the Cat 34 they included a graph of the price of an '86 fin (no mention of rig).  It looks on the chart like the price was a bit above $50k.  This was for the base boat with no options. (so I guess that means the std rig).

Same article (written in '90) says the '90 base price was $58,895, with a well equipped boat at $75,999.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

...last week, who has a brand new C34, beautiful boat, who "complained" about the C34 website.

He said, "My wife looked at one of 'your' articles, which said that the cost of the boat was only $70,000.'  When I started looking for new boats, the cost was over $100,000."

I asked him which website he was purusing.  His answer, "catalinaowners.com."

"But that's not our website, you know, we're 'c34.org'," I replied.

"No difference," he said, "it's on 'your' web."

Guess he thinks he can still buy a VW Bug for $2,400 because he saved or read a 1964 San Francisco Chronicle.

Wish I could.

PS - please, let us ALL continue to include dates for anything to do with prices $$$  :)

PPs - The original C34 Sail Magazine review and price/option lists are in the History section of our website. Thanks to Mark, our associate webmaster, and to those of you who contributed to this by sending the originals of the price lists, options and review article to us to post.

[This message was edited by Stu Jackson #224 1986 "Aquavite" on July 02, 2002 at 11:05 PM.]