Pulley spreader- on the cheap

Previous topic - Next topic

Rick Berman

after reading some past posts, I looked for a pulley speader (to tighten the belt) at harbor freight.  they didn't have one, but I found something better: a reversable wood clamp.  Now i have a spreader and an extra clamp on board.  check it out:
Rick Berman on the Tula, Puget Sound (Hull 484, M25-XP)

Rick Berman

forgot to add the price:  $2.99!

search link: [alternator belt tensioner]
Rick Berman on the Tula, Puget Sound (Hull 484, M25-XP)

learjetzz

Great idea ,  have to try it , Good Luck with the new baby !!

Ron Hill

Rick : Great thinking!!  It will even work on an engine that has the raw water pump in the way of using a belt tensioning tool (like an M25XPB and M35 BC - if someone needs it) ! 
Good idea.   :clap
Ron, Apache #788

John Langford

I recommend a belt tightening tool combination which is already in your tool bag. Loosen bolt holding alternator to arm. Place tip of fairly large screwdriver against head of bolt. Tap head of screwdriver gently with hammer until desired belt tension is achieved. Tighten bolt.
Cheers
John
"Surprise"
Ranger Tug, 29S

Stu Jackson

Let's do this again, folks.  John's right, not all engines need this device.

As noted originally in the alternator belt tensioner article (http://c34.org/bbs/index.php/topic,3667.0.html) the engine you have will determine whether you need this tool or not.

M25 series engines definitely do.

The later engines, where you push down to tighten the alternator, do not.

That's why telling us what engine you have in your signature, and photos, really help.
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."