Anchor Fit on C 34

Previous topic - Next topic

scotty

Thanks guys.  Lots of good information.  You're right about the system approach, and also planning for the future installation of the windless.  One of the things that I like about this forum is getting so many ideas.  I'm planning out what the system will look like so that all the components fit when it's done, then buying things as the budget allows.  Thanks.
Scotty

Ron Hill

Scotty : When you get time to install an anchor roller, you might want to look at my Mainsheet article (May 1995) and when you install a windlass you might want to do the same(if you want it INSIDE the anchor well).
At least these will give you some ideas and what you are getting ready to encounter.  A few thoughts
Ron, Apache #788

Stu Jackson

Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

scotty

Thanks Guys for the suggestions.  Yes, I've spent a lot of time looking at the Projects page, the Wicki and Mainsheets.  I've pretty much sussed out my approach (stainless steel 90* angle inside the well).  I like to take my time planning projects.  Actually I really enjoy looking at all the projects.  I find lots of things that I just hadn't thought about.  I also have to winnow out the things that I can't get to - only so much time.  I encourage any other new owners (like myself) to spend a lot of time on this website, it has really helped me.
Scotty

scotty

Thanks for all the input everyone.  I just bought a Ronca 15 today.  I'm stoked.  I'm going to hang it on my "toy" roller for a while and see how it works.  My next step is to buy chain.  In order to do that I need to look down the road (or is that rode?) for the windlass that I shall buy in a few months.  I've looked at a lot of the ideas previously posted, and the projects pages.  At this point, I'm particularly interested in the Lewmar V700.  Ron, how has that product worked out for you?? Anyone else using one?
Scotty

Jim Hardesty

Scotty,
I perfer the windless with the gypsy and drum.  I disconnect the rode and use the drum for going up the mast, disconnecting and reconnecting the forstay, and other heavy lifting.  Just my 2 cents.
Jim
Jim Hardesty
2001 MKII hull #1570 M35BC  "Shamrock"
sailing Lake Erie
from Commodore Perry Yacht Club
Erie, PA

Joe Kern

Scotty - it may have been said before but make sure you buy the right size chain if you are getting chain before you get a windlass.  I know mine maxes out at the 1/4" 6mm size.

Joe
Joe Kern
2005 Catalina 34MKII
Hull # 1717
Merritt Island, Fl

Michael Shaner

Scotty, if you go with the V1 as opposed to the V700, you have the ability to change the gypsy to accommodate 5/16 chain. The downside of the V1 is a bit more weight and bigger cable required...
Michael & Alison Shaner

Ron Hill

Scotty : My V700 has worked flawlessly for the past 3 years.  You don't need 00# wire !

I'm quite satisfied that 1/4"High Tensile chain (breaking strength 7750lbs) is not the weak link in the ground tackle system.  A thought
Ron, Apache #788

Stu Jackson

Ron's right.

Don't wanna beat a dead horse, but just to repeat, try the anchor system sizing tables on Reply #6, here:  http://c34.org/bbs/index.php/topic,4990.0.html

Choose the system, then the chain, to suit your intended windlass.  Simple.
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

Joe Kern

Just as a follow-up.   I replaced the "bail" on my anchor roller with a larger one from Garhauer.  Only $12 and now the Manson anchor sits flush on the roller without hitting the furler.

Joe
Joe Kern
2005 Catalina 34MKII
Hull # 1717
Merritt Island, Fl

DarthOccam

Quote from: Joe Kern on January 24, 2011, 09:57:35 AM
Just as a follow-up.   I replaced the "bail" on my anchor roller with a larger one from Garhauer.  Only $12 and now the Manson anchor sits flush on the roller without hitting the furler.

Joe

Joe:  do you have a size or part number?  I'm planning to do the same.

Thanks,
Michael
Michael DeCamp
Serenity, #1703
Channel Islands Harbor, CA

Joe Kern

Yes, thanks to Craig.  Second item down, BB-2, on this hyperlink http://garhauermarine.com/catalog_process.cfm?cid=73 is what I bought and was perfect.   I was wrong.  Only $9.50!

Joe
Joe Kern
2005 Catalina 34MKII
Hull # 1717
Merritt Island, Fl

Mike and Joanne Stimmler

Great idea! I'm going to order a bail from Garhauer as well. When I put my Rocna 20 on the bow, everything fit but the bail so I just took it off. It works OK without the bail but it would be reassuring to have one on there.
Mike and Joanne Stimmler
Former owner of Calerpitter
'89 Tall Rig Fin keel #940
San Diego/Mission Bay
mjstimmler@cox.net

Joe Kern

See post #19 below.  I did not take follow-up pictures when I replaced it but it sits nicely in the bowroller channel, easily self-deploys etc.  Pretty cheap fix and easy to do.
Joe Kern
2005 Catalina 34MKII
Hull # 1717
Merritt Island, Fl