Anchor Fit on C 34

Previous topic - Next topic

Stewartn

Anyone use a Mason Supreme 35# or a Rocna 33# on a stock C34 MkII (#1472) fcty installed anchor roller? I know, I know - but I already covered the boat and there is no easy way to measure or try before buying. Any info confirming or rejecting the fit appreciated.

Thanks all,
Stewart Napoleon, Hull #1472, Desiree
Greenwich, CT

Craig Illman

Stewart - I don't know what was installed standard on your hull. Here's a picture of my Manson Supreme 35# on Espresso #1150 with the longer roller available from Catalina direct. I know the newer MKII's have this longer roller.

Stu Jackson

Here's Steve Dolling's Rocna 20 (44#).  The trick?  Support it as shown and let it out enough to avoid dinging the hull.  My Rocna 10 picture follows.  I ahve since added a Johnson rail cleat for the roll bar holder line.

Both of us have the toy bow rollers which we DELIBERATELY kept to avoid the larger moment arm of the newer rollers.

It would be very interesting to learn why you are considering a Rocna 33. Given Steve's experience, this appears to be way overkill in anchor size selection for a C34.  

Anchor sizing tables are here: http://c34.org/bbs/index.php/topic,4990.0.html

Steve discussed his anchor selection and use in his 1500 mile update, here: http://c34.org/bbs/index.php/topic,5270.0.html
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

Mike and Joanne Stimmler

Here's a few more pictures for comparison. When I changed from the Bruce to the Rocna, everything fit but the bail that went over the top of the Bruce. I eliminated the bail and everything works OK and the new Rocna stays in place as is.

Mike and Joanne Stimmler
Former owner of Calerpitter
'89 Tall Rig Fin keel #940
San Diego/Mission Bay
mjstimmler@cox.net

waterdog

Stu,

I'm not sure what was going on with my Rocna at Southbeach.   It's hanging way out.   I think I was scrubbing Sausalito mud off it.   It does fit snug up against the bow roller - it doesn't normally hang out in space like this. 

If anyone needs more than a Rocna 20 (kg that is) for a C34, I would really love to know what conditions they anchor in.   I've tested it in conditions where the dog poop is blowing past the cabin windows and it holds great.   

Sleep well.   

Steve

Currently in Puerto Vallarta at the deluxe marina learning how the rich folks live.  Life is brutally hard and I'm trying to prove that so folks back home can appreciate how good they've got it...
Steve Dolling
Former 1988 #804, BlackDragon - Vancouver BC
Now 1999 Manta 40 cat

Stu Jackson

Quote from: waterdog on November 22, 2009, 09:50:07 PMI'm not sure what was going on with my Rocna at Southbeach.   It's hanging way out.   I think I was scrubbing Sausalito mud off it.   It does fit snug up against the bow roller - it doesn't normally hang out in space like this.  

If anyone needs more than a Rocna 20 (kg that is) for a C34, I would really love to know what conditions they anchor in.   I've tested it in conditions where the dog poop is blowing past the cabin windows and it holds great.  

Sleep well.  

Steve, I think you had it hanging out there to show me your windlass, so right after I took this picture you snugged it up.  I agree, normally it fits tight up against the toy bow roller.  

It appears that many folks are afraid of scratching their bow fiberglass but that really doesn't seem to happen.  I have one small ding in 22 years...

Yes, I agree, it would be nice to hear from Stewart to find out why he's going that big, which is unnecessary overkill.  What chain size do you have?
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

Stewartn

In answer to why a 33# on a C34: Both Manson and Rocna suggested that size with 35' of chain. It was also recommended locally by some very intrepid cruising sailors that I trust. I am still dithering, but Manson has come back and said the 25# is OK with 50'+ of chain.  I'll let you know how I go later in the year. Thx all.
Greenwich, CT

waterdog

Sorry Stewart, I think we got confused on lbs and kgs.   33 pounds is certainly not overkill for a Rocna on a C34.  Probably just right for most conditions.  Mine is a Rocna 20 which is ~ 44 lbs.    That with a 100 feet of 5/16 chain has allowed me to sleep very well. 
Steve Dolling
Former 1988 #804, BlackDragon - Vancouver BC
Now 1999 Manta 40 cat

Stu Jackson

Stewart, I agree with Steve, sorry 'bout that! :cry4`

Ron Hill

Guys : Be careful because some of the pictures only have a bow roller that was part of the head stay fitting in the 1986, 87 and 1988 C34 production boats.  So in those years, unless you installed a bow roller, any anchor is going to be closer to the hull than those that do not have a (real extended) bow roller.

Look in Projects and you'll see the bow roller I installed on my 1988.  I also added some stick-on tread to protect the bow.  I found out that my Bruce actually extends out about 3 inches further than the factory in stalled bow roller which started in 1989 C34 production.  My Bruce has never come close to touching my stick-on tread!!
Ron, Apache #788

billandalita

In case this helps, here is a picture of a Manson Supreme 35 lb anchor on CLEO, my 2002 C34.   I originally fastened a large bail to the rear of the anchor roller to secure the anchor shank.  This did not work since one must bring this anchor on-board, with the windless, without stopping the last several feet, which often caused the anchor shank to hit the bail with enough force to bend it backward.   The second photo is a closeup showing the current latching hardware to secure the anchor shank once the anchor is aboard.  The latch consists of two stainless cheek plates bolted to the rear of the bow roller and with a 3/8 inch pin that can be slid open or closed and locked in place with a clevis pin.   This arrangement is very sturdy.  One can also lock this anchor in place by sliding the 3/8 inch pin through the slot in the anchor shank.

Joe Kern

Has anyone else with a MKII gone to a Manson 35?  If so how have you managed to make the anchor fit/stay on the bow roller?  I assume you removed the forward bail but wondered if the system in the picture below is necessary.  Great boat show prices on the Manson and am thinking of pulling the trigger.
Joe Kern
2005 Catalina 34MKII
Hull # 1717
Merritt Island, Fl

Stewartn

Installed a Rocna 15 (33#)on my MK II, 1472, Spring 2010. Went on stock roller and fit very well. No changes to roller necessary. Will try for pics next time I go to boat.
Greenwich, CT

Stu Jackson

Joe, I recommend that you BUY it and figure out how to mount it later.  You'll sleep a LOT better at night, since it'll pull you off the bow when it sets.

http://c34.org/bbs/index.php/topic,2705.0.html

Anchor System Sizing Tables are here:  http://c34.org/bbs/index.php/topic,4990.0.html

Joe Kern

Agreed Stu.  I think I have read every thread on our forum and others and am defintilety convinced it will make those nights in the islands more conducive to sleep.  For $321 it is worth it.   Just don't want to have to worry about it bouncing all over the place because it does not sit well in the bow roller.  I think I will give it a try though.
Joe Kern
2005 Catalina 34MKII
Hull # 1717
Merritt Island, Fl