Wiring Harness Upgrade

Previous topic - Next topic

captaingary

For anyone who has not yet done the wiring harness upgrade, I would strongly suggest doing it. Sunday I put my boat in the slip and shut everything down. About 30 minutes later it started up on its own and the started kept running. Since I was there I was able to disconnect the batteries. Otherwise, I would have burned up the starter or even worse started a fire on board. The molded plug behind the engine panel had melted and shorted the wires together. I called Seaward and they are sending the upgrade for around $30. I was lucky!
Gary Schneider
Windmill #1231
Long Beach  CA

kenkillian

I bought my boat used, and was told that the harness upgrade had been done.  How can I be sure?  Is there an easy check or something to look for?

malgase

Look at the wiring aft and port of the engine in the engine compartment.  If there is a large polyurethane block connector (3/4" X 1.5" X 3" Long) in the bundle of wires, held closed with a ty-wrap, you have not been upgraded.  There should etiher be continuous wires between the engine and the panel (a la Cap'n Al's projects page), or a terminal strip in place of the polyurethane connector block.  The terminal strip will be mounted to a convenient surface near where the connectors were.

Another easy indicator is if you have a voltage meter in your engine panel as opposed to an ammeter.  The volt meter change typically went along with the wiring upgrade.

Michael

Stu Jackson

I remembered that the harness upgrade reference was on our website, but couldn't find it easily because of so much other great information.  For those of you who'd like the information, try this link:

http://www.c34.org/projects/projects-harness-upgrade.html

Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

kenkillian

Thanks for info.  I have read most of info on CD and upgrades.  The indicator that is most often referred to is the voltmeter.  My boat has the ammeter yet, which is why I have asked the question.  Yet, I know the previous owner and he has confirmed to me more than once that the harness upgrade was done very early after he bought the boat.  I now have specifics to look for other than ammeter/voltmeter.  Thanks again