headsail

Previous topic - Next topic

patrick

I have been getting price quotes on a new 150 headsail and would appreciate some advice.

The local sail lofts have given me quotes of $3079 and $2642.  Airforce Sails I am looking at $1566 and from National Sail Supply $1469.  

My question, does anyone have experience with Airforce Sails or National Sail Supply?

I always like to deal local but the price difference is too great as long as the quality is there.

Thanks and good sailing :cool:

Jkar

Patrick,

Are you comparing the same type of material?  I agree the price difference is significant, but make sure that the "mailorder" sail is the exact same that the local loft is quoting.  I went to UK, they quoted me 3000 for a 155, North was 3100 and change, I looked online saw these low prices, printed them out went back to UK and said can they match, they said "Sure" then proceeded to educate me on sailcloth, processes and customer service.  They were willing to make the "discount" sail but advised that they and I would not be happy with it.  I went 3k for the Kevlar RF w/ "invisible" UV protection, and have never looked back.  Three years later, the sail still looks brand spankin' new and sails like a dream.  The follow-up from UK has been super, that is why I will always go local, even if it means a little more initial outlay, the ROI is incredible.

Jentine

I am in the same quandry as you.  I was quoted $3450 for a new main sail for Jentine and started asking around.  Several friends have used National and Airforce.  They are cruisers and sail much more than I.  They are very pleased with the mass production lofts.
The friend with the National experience told me that someone from National Sails went to his boat to measure and built the sail accordingly for somewhere in the $1500 range.
Another cruiser bought sails from Air Force and was so pleased with the quality that he had his new saloon cushions made by them.
Next year I will be installing new main and genoa and will give as much credence to the production lofts as to the one-off lofts.
I think that one-off lofts are preferable for racers, but we cruisers don't demand as much and are willing to sacrifice a small bit of performance for a huge savings.
Jim Kane

Stu Jackson

Have you tried?

http://www.thesailwarehouse.com/

This may give you another idea of price ranges.

The thing you also need to consider is how you want or need the sail to be cut.  Here in San Francisco for our summer winds, Sutter Sails, a local loft, created an 85% headsail called The Blade.  Because of the strong winds, it is cut very flat and works great going upwind.  With light winds, it is useless.

So check out what kind of conditions you normally sail in, and decide on the type of cut you need in addition to just the cost and the manufacturer.

This would be true of both headsails and mains.

[This message was edited by Stu Jackson #224 1986 "Aquavite" on June 23, 2002 at 09:14 AM.]
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

rirvine

I have had very good results from a 130% jib that I got for the sail warehouse last year - once we learned how to sheet it.

rappareems

I have been outfitting my boats for the past 10 years in Western New York with Somerset Sails a local builder.  He does a great deal of mail order business and much of the local work even for serious racers.  His prices are in the $1200 to $1500 dollar range for my Catalina 34. He has built me both a new main and genoa and I have been doing well club racing this season.  You can reach him at somesetsails.com.

Mark Cassidy
Mark Cassidy
#232 1986
"Rapparee"
Lake Ontario

Ron S

When I had my C-30 I ordered a new 150 from National Sails (talked to Dirk). I was adding a furler at the time, and he saved me a bunch of money getting it from him at the same time.  I was impressed with the quality and replaced the main the following year.  I was looking for a cruising sail, and the workmanship was good and the sail was easy to shape.