motorola alternator

Previous topic - Next topic

c34member

Hi Folks
    I just bought an 88 and will probably have lots of questions.  To start off, Where can I get brushes for my Motorola 50 amp alternator.  The boat is in Mexico and I would like to carry spares.
Thanks in advance-Brant

Stu Jackson

A good place to start would be

http://www.marinedieseldirect.com/universal/200142/index.html

While they don't have the alternator itself, they could be a good source to find out where to get what you are looking for.

When you do find out, please let us all know since many of us still have the old alternators.

Good luck.
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

BMHoch

Try Hansen Marine in Marblehead, MA. I replaced my original Motorola with a 90A Motorola alternator (internally regulated).  This allows for better charging and didn't require any additional changes like the Balmar or others do.  Belt never loosens, and have never had a problem in 2 years of cruising.  The only drwaback was the price --  about $500 (wow!).

Jentine

Last year I replaced my stock alternator with a 100 amp unit for $249 from the Battery Shack in Marathon, Florida.  The unit is the best deal I could find for a marine 100 amp alternator.  The web site is www.thefloridakeys/batteryshack/
Installation was a snap.
Jim Kane