Increased Water Capacity?

Previous topic - Next topic

Rick Johnson

I have been mulling over the idea of adding a bow water tank to my C34.  Catalina Direct sells a bow tank that would add another 25 gallons, but I worry about the weight that far forward.  Does anyone have any experience with a bow tank or installing one?  I think that Tom (over at the C36 site) installed one, but I cannot find any information other than a picture.

Thanks for any help,

Rick
Rick Johnson, #1110, 1990, s/v Godspeed, Lake Travis, TX

Jack Hutteball

Rick, the MKII's have a water tank in the bow, no problem.  I think you could just get the same size Catalina installed and it should fit.
Jack
Jack and Ruth Hutteball
Mariah lll, #1555, 2001
Anacortes, Washington

Steve Sayian

The bow tank in the MK II is the identical tank used in the C-30.  25 Gallons.
Steve Sayian
"Ocean Rose"
1999 Mk II
Wing, Std Rig, Kiwi Prop
#1448, Hingham, Mass

Stu Jackson

Quote from: Rick Johnson on September 28, 2009, 06:26:47 PM...but I worry about the weight that far forward. 

Rick, we've had our boat for 12 years.  I have her "loaded" with tools and other "stuff" plus our anchor system up forward and an old BIG danforth storm anchor in the locker.

I look at my waterline often, and compared it to the pure racers here in the Bay who ALL sit a few inches higher than we do.  That's why we're cruisers who happened to race a few times!

But my bow, even with all the gear we have, is way above the waterline, while the stern is a bit above it.

I would check how your boat "sets" in the water.  If it's anything like ours, a bow tank would be no problem.  Don't forget a separate valve for that tank into the fresh water header before the pump.
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

Ron Hill

Rick : Not to be facetious, but doesn't (inland) Lake Travus have a fresh water spigot?

If you were going on a long off shore trip, I could see the need for an extra tank.  I've been south and with many other C34s that have made the trip to the Bahamas, I've never heard that the C34 normal water capacity was insufficient.  In the Bahamas a gallon of good RO water costs more than a gallon of diesel!!

To answer your question, YES you can build a crib in the Vberth storage area and add a fresh water bladder and plumb it in. 
A few thoughts.
Ron, Apache #788

sailaway

Rick, I have a catalina 34 1986 hull #95 with a factory installed water tank in the bow. I carry two anchors, and have  a/c mounted under the vee berth. The water line is level. I think catalina changed  the water tank aft  because my 34 has  water on the starboard cockpit settee. When it rain's. The boat sail's great in all kinds of weather.
Charlie

Rick Johnson

Yes, Lake Travis has a fresh water spigot, but "the plan" is to go somewhere more interesting in a few years.  That would also be the reason for the solent stay project...  If I add the bow tank, I should have about 100gals of fresh water.  I figure that's much easier and cheaper than a water maker...

Cheers,

Rick

waterdog

I have a Spectra Ventura 150 that fits nicely in the spot underneath the drawer in the v-berth.   You are right.  It is expensive and complicated. I haven't commissioned it yet, but completed the plumbing today.   I think we will be glad we have it once we hit Mexico. 
Steve Dolling
Former 1988 #804, BlackDragon - Vancouver BC
Now 1999 Manta 40 cat

Stu Jackson

Long Term Cruising

Rick,

Over the years we've discussed system requirements for long term cruising.  Of course, where one goes has a lot to do with decisions that need to be made about water and power, the real "basics" of survival.  

WATER

If you're "coasting" from Maine to Florida, but NOT to the Bahamas, or harbor hopping from Vancouver, BC to San Diego, but NOT on to Mexico, fresh water is available, pretty much for free all along the route.  Once past the border, water becomes scarce and expensive.  With clear sea water available all around, a WATERMAKER makes the most sense, in lieu of humping heavy water jugs.  And, if indeed water IS available, having a third tank may be counterproductive, since it makes the water fillups last longer which reduces the turnover of water in the tanks.  As you know, very warm temperatures and water sitting in the tanks may not be the best mix.

Everything, I mean everything, I have ever read about cruising and water says:  humping water gets real tired, real old, real quick REGARDLESS of the cost; and one can do a very quick cost benefit ratio and payback on a $2,000 watermaker vs $X per gallon of water even if your idea of humping water jugs is "good exercise."  You'll find, again, from everything I've read, that when you're cruising, WORK is not something high on the agenda.  Even though being on board 24/7, getting things done requires effort and discipline, not something we tend to like to do when on vacation.

Instead of a third water tank, I recommend consideration of three things:  a watermaker, a saltwater foot or electric pump faucet in the galley, and a brand new fresh water pump as backup.

Of course, this requires clean, clear saltwater, so if you're a marina hopper and sit in hot crowded cramped marinas, even in Mexico or the Bahamas, this is not your course of action.  If that's your plan, however, why go in the first place? :shock:

SOLAR

Yes, there have been many discussions about high output alternators and Honda Eu 1000 and 2000 generators.

From a purely cruising function, there really is nothing better than solar.  Why? Please read Reply #12 here, which discusses solar:  http://c34.org/bbs/index.php/topic,5137.0.html

Why nothing better?  A generator, you say, gives you hot water when you want it and charges your batteries.  Sure, so change your habits of having that "every morning" shower, and shower with a Solar Shower or wait until just before dinner for your ablutions.  Save $1,000 or so right there. Unless you're planning to go Artic, you should be in warm weather and water.  No humping heavy gasoline jugs and dealing with separate oil canisters.  

Battery charging?  Don't need the generator or the high output alternator and fancy, schmansy external regulator, save $500 right there.  

You've paid for most of the solar panels right there.

Oh, and it's quiet, no bummed out neighbors in anchorages.

So, given whatever your plans may eventually be, you have some time to consider your options.  Happy planning!
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

Rick Johnson

Stu,

Funny timing, I'm taking the next 2 days off work to install 2 new solar panels on my hard dodger.  My other panel, on the davits, had enough output that while the dock power was off at the Marina (high winds pretty much wrecked the place), I had fans and cold beer to share.  Gotta love solar!

I'll be interested to hear what Waterdog has to say about his watermaker.  My impression is that it takes too much power, breaks down too often, requires too much maintenance and cost too much money.  Yes, I hear they are great when they are working, but I'm sure people have sailed happily without them.  It's like adding an air conditioner, I'd love to have one, but really don't want to pay the price ($, space, maintenance).

I do have a salt water foot pump and a backup electric pump, so I'm getting there.

Cheers,

Rick 

Stu Jackson

Heck, two down, one to go!  I hear you about watermakers, but I think you may be "relying" on old wives tales, with the emphasis on OLD.  Anything that moves and has parts requires maintenance.  Many of the horror stories I've heard had to do with people running them in harbors (dirty water, instructions clearly say don't do it), not pickling them when not being used, and the general abuse the equipment takes from the stupidity of not reading the directions.  Too much power?  C'mon, what's too much when you have free power?  Do a water budget and add it to your energy budget and it's a fair deal.  I forget the actual #s, but it's 2 amps a gallon or something "sinister" like that.  Throw in an extra house battery to your bank (unless you have golf carts, then throw in 2!), or run the WM when the engine's going, but wait, wait!  You don't have to worry about power at all, you have solar!

Please think it through.  You, too, can "sail happily" without one, it's just when you need more water that it's not so happy humpin'.

I agree it would be helpful to hear from Steve, but it's gonna be sometime before he hits Baja, the HaHa doesn't leave til the end of October.

Exceptin' he's quick!  See: http://c34.org/bbs/index.php/topic,5257.0.html