CNG

Previous topic - Next topic

Rodney

My C34 currently has a CNG (compressed natural gas) fueled stove on board. While I really haven't had to fill the danged thing yet, I'm wondering if there are compelling reasons to just go ahead and change out to a propane system. Opinions?

-Tranquility  '87 Hull # 290
San Diego

SteveLyle

is the availability of CNG, which is spotty.  I've got CNG as well, but have a readily available source, and 2 cylinders, so finding a source while I don't expect to be a problem.

PAUL T.

Being a fireman for 21 years I've seen what propane can do. I suggest you find a source for refilling your CNG. Propane is heavier than air and can settle in the bilge you may not smell it and one spark and ........... CNG is lighter than air and will float away into the atmosphere, up and out.

andrew bell

what is your highest priority ?

Safety or convenience. we have CNG and the only source we have found is a 30 minutes drive. But,CNG is safe,convenient to use and the tank usually lasts all season. Stick with the CNG and have peace of mind. GSI who made my system sell a regulator that allows tanks to be filled at the gas stations that sell CNG for vehicles.

calewis

Is there a web site for the company that sells the regulator. I would love to fill my own tanks.

Chris Lewiso

Rodney

Thanks for the replies. There seems to be much more "noise" about propane on boats out there so I was curious as to whether my CNG system was truly an odd duck. I'll put up with the refill hassles..

andrew bell

Hull # 172 came with s system by GSI
(Gas systems Inc) In 1986 this was a $1000 option
I found the following info in 2000 when I bought the boat. I found the info in a business directory. when I phoned they asked 'how did you find us' they were quite surprised. However at that time they were still in business.

Skip or John
714 891 2411   -   800 323 8924
Portable Natural Gas

Our systems are 2000lbs I believe systems for vehicles are higher. GSI offered me a regulator for $150 which I declined at the time. This could be used at a gas station that has CNG. When I just did a search for GSI CNG I came up with the same questions/concerns on the C36 site. Maybe we can get a group discount for the regulator ?

Stu Jackson

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by andrew bell:
                              GSI offered me a regulator for $150 which I declined at the time. This could be used at a gas station that has CNG. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

We have two CNG tanks on board.                          The tanks do not come with a regulator, the regulator is on the connection of the hose to the stove.  I was unaware that a tank could be refilled while you wait.  Our replacement source, a local independent chandlery, simply has full tanks waiting to swap.

The new tanks just come with a metal screw off cap.

We have a second tank on board as a spare and I rotate them when the connected tank is empty.

Full is 2500#.  0# is, you guessed it...

We pay about $16 for a full tank in San Francisco (Oakland), bringing the old one in for a swap.

Our source is very conventient.  If your's is some distance away, consider a second tank, for obvious "have-it-on-hand" reasons when on board, and a little bit of leeway in having to travel to get a full tank.
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

Jentine

Rodney,
There are a multitude of reasons to change to propane.  Your safety and that of your crew are at the top of the list.  

Jentine
Registered User  posted July 30, 2001 02:17 PM    
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"SAFE GAS"
Well, that is an oxymonon. How can an exploding gasseous substance be safe. The only safe thing about CNG is that the explosion will occur at a higher altitude in your boat than propane. CNG is lighter than air and it won't sink into your bilge (eventhough the gas lines run through the bilge). Your stove is in the cabin and the gas will be trapped if a leak occurs.
I remember an explosion in Boston some years ago that reconstructed a city block and several buildings. Cities have, for many years used CNG, i.e. natural gas to heat homes. It is known to be explosive.
Common sense, a detector and a good gas system make propane as safe as CNG. Propane also is readily available, is not contained in a cylinder that must be pressure tested every 5 years, it is not presurized to 2500 psi and one tank can last several months on a live-aboard.
I think that the conversion to propane is more sensible that staying with the "SAFE GAS".
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Rodney

Jentine - Is your argument for propane (given your initial "safety" comment), that the danger of having a problem with the CNG tank exploding (or at least having a bad day) is more compelling than the danger posed by propane being heavy than air?

-Tranquility '87 Hull # 290
San Diego WA7ZIA

Gary Wilson

There may also be an insurance issue related to propane.  I recently had a new survey done for insurance purposes.  Apparenly it is required every 5 years.

I have CNG on our boat.  The surveyor was very interested in whether I had propane system.  I am not sure if it would have resulted in a higher premium, or a more rigorous inspection, or what, but is was an issue.