Good safety idea

Previous topic - Next topic

Mike and Joanne Stimmler

Talking recently with a diver that does allot of maintenance on boats in our marina, he shared something that he advises all of his customers to carry as emergency equipment and that is to carry two of the wax rings that are commonly used on a home toilet flange.

He went on to say that they would seal almost any type of leak or puncture in the hull including losing a shaft.

Sounds logical to me and cheap insurance!

Mike
Mike and Joanne Stimmler
Former owner of Calerpitter
'89 Tall Rig Fin keel #940
San Diego/Mission Bay
mjstimmler@cox.net

Rick Allen

Rick Allen, C34 IA Commodore
Former owner of "PainKiller", 1988 C34 MKI, Sail#746, std. rig, wing keel.

ssk

The wax sounds like a great emergency resource.  Another good hole plugging remedy is a large tub of the grey plumbers putty and some latex gloves.   Putty in one of the fingers or the whole glove plugs holes really well.  When I had to replace the macerator valve after the stem broke off, we just plugged the through hull from the outside with a golf ball-sized wad of putty in the thumb of a glove, spun off the valve, went to West Marine and back to replace, then just grabbed the glove to remove and all was well.  Not a drop of leakage....    But this is a good idea.  I now will add a couple of wax rings to my "crisis bag" along with the putty, gloves, extra balsa cones, and bolt/rigging cutter.  And hope I will never see them again except at inventory time.  SSK~_/)~~ 

Ron Hill

Another good "hole stopper" is a 6" disc type sink drain stopper. 
Go over board and put it on the hole and the water pressure holds it in place.  Then you can dry out the inside and mix up some marine tex for the inside patch.  A thought
Ron, Apache #788

Jon Arck - Past C34IA Commodore

Thanks for the great idea!  I will buy the rings as soon as I'm flush...

ssk

That was a plumb good pun.
It bowled me over and forced a smile...but just a crack.
I didn't have the guts...thanks for being the pun ring leader.