Genoa Track Rebedding

Previous topic - Next topic

Lance Jones

I've developed leaks along my Genoa tracks and feel that I need to pull and re-bed them. I did a search for this type topic and found that it dealt mostly with sail trim. I have a couple of questions for anyone who has done this on the MkI.
1) Are there any hidden bolts? It seems that I can see or feel all of them from underneath.
2) Are there any issues I should be ready for?

I plan on pulling the track, cleaning both surfaces, oversize the bolt holes, fill with epoxy and re-drill. Any suggestions for sealant? I was planning on marine grade silicon as the 3M stuff hardens with age and cracks.

Thanks in advance....
Lance Jones
1988  C-34 Kitty's Cat
S/N 622

Ron Hill

Lance : The re bedding of the genoa track bolts is straight fwd.  The are a couple of bolts (6 as I recall) on the port side that you have to get at from the post inside lazerette.

Again with bedding anything only turn down the bolts about 3/4 tight until the caulk cures (or you'll squirt out all of the caulk!).  Then you can crank them tight. 
Ron, Apache #788

Lance Jones

Lance Jones
1988  C-34 Kitty's Cat
S/N 622

Roland Gendreau

I'm adding my experience re-bedding the genoa track to an old thread as it seemed to be the best place to put it.

I had to do this procedure to fix a leak of brownish liquid into the floor of the head.

In researching what type of sealant to use, I found this outstanding article on using butyl caulk to bed deck hardware

http://www.sailnet.com/forums/gear-maintenance/63554-bedding-deck-hardware-butyl-tape.html
I followed the procedure and chamfered each of the holes in the deck. I applied caulk around each of the bolts as he described and also applied caulk to the deck surface between the holes.. Then put the whole track down at once.   What I like about his procedure with camfering the holes is that it creates space for the caulk to create sort of an o ring seal around each bolt.

One of the great features of butyl caulk is the cleanup....after I tightened down all the track bolts, I used a knife to trim away the caulk that had squeezed out on the sides of the track; very simple and easy, no mess to clean up.

Next time I need to bed the stanchions, I will use the same process.

Roland Gendreau
Gratitude #1183
Bristol, RI

Roland Gendreau
1992 MK 1.5
Gratitude #1183
Bristol, RI

Ron Hill

Roland & Guys : Now that Mainsail has introduced us to butyl rubber -- that's the only way to go.

Beside doing a great job sealing the thru hole, one of its best attributes is that after doing the task there is no waiting/curing time until you can go sailing -- It's sealed!!
Ron, Apache #788

mainesail

Quote from: Ron Hill on February 19, 2012, 12:36:46 PM
Roland & Guys : Now that Mainsail has introduced us to butyl rubber -- that's the only way to go.

Beside doing a great job sealing the thru hole, one of its best attributes is that after doing the task there is no waiting/curing time until you can go sailing -- It's sealed!!

Both port and starboard genny tracks on our boat are now 33 years old and 100% un-rebedded. They have never leaked a single drop and the boat did a five year 24/7 liveaboard world cruise... The bolts still look like new. Bedded with butyl tape at the factory in 1979 WITHOUT countersinking. If it lasts 33 years without countersinking........ Imagine how long with... :D
-Maine Sail
Casco Bay, ME
Boat - CS-36T

https://marinehowto.com/

Les Luzar

Can the butyl rubber be used for re-bedding teak handrails?
Les Luzar
#355    1987
Windshadow
Long Beach, CA

Ron Hill

Les : Yes, as it seals the thru hole so moisture will not migrate into the decks core.   
Ron, Apache #788

Joe Holmes

I used butyl rubber last year when replacing teak handrails- had them off for a major refinishing job.  I have not had so much as a drop of water.  The excess squeeze-out was simple to remove.  I wrapped some around the top of the studs where they enter the teak, and also placed some flat on the bottoms of each "foot" section that contacts the cabin roof.  For the foot sections with screws from inside the cabin, I placed a small ball of butyl rubber at the screw hole on the bottom of the foot, along with a flat piece on the bottom.
Joe Holmes
1988 Mk 1 Tall Rig, Hull 758
Rothesay NB Canada

Bobg

I am a little confused, butyl rubber, does it come in a tube? caulking gun? tape form? and do you still have to oversize the holes and fill with epoxy and redrill?
what manufacture makes it, I am going to rebed some stanchions this spring and was going to use polysulfide, but I would rather do what you guys are doing.  Thanks  Bob
Bob Gatz, 1988 catalina 34, Hull#818, "Ghostrider" sail lake superior Apostle Islands

Stu Jackson

Bob, here's what you need to know:  http://www.pbase.com/mainecruising/butyl_tape

I bought two rolls (as a Xmas gift).  Very good stuff.  Maine Sail is a frequent contributor to this message board.
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

Steven Orr

Quote from: Stu Jackson on February 25, 2012, 10:02:55 AM
Bob, here's what you need to know:  http://www.pbase.com/mainecruising/butyl_tape

I bought two rolls (as a Xmas gift).  Very good stuff.  Maine Sail is a frequent contributor to this message board.

Thanks for posting that link Stu.  I just bought two rolls, I have been looking locally and couldn't find it.  Chainplates and tracks to do asap.

Steven
1988 C34 #752
Remedy

Indian Falls

http://www.pplmotorhomes.com/parts/caulks-sealants/48463.htm

This 1'' wide 3/16'' thick whitish color not gray, not appliance white was only $6.08 per 20' roll.   
It's intended for sealing rubber motor home roofs.
I bought 2 in-case someone at the marina needs a little. 
Dan & Dar
s/v Resolution, 1990 C34 997
We have enough youth: how about a fountain of "smart"?

efhughes3

Mainesail, thank you for this great info. One of my projects on the "new" C34 is to check all deck hardware and rebed. I ordered two rolls this morning!  :thumb:
Ed Hughes
La Vie Dansante-1988 C34 Hull 578
SDYC