water in forespar deck light

Previous topic - Next topic

crieders

When replacing the steaming light, I noticed some water in the lens of the deck light. Works perfectly well and only a year old. Perhaps got in there because I did not have a steaming light or lens for about a year. Since the deck light works, replace the bulb or just let it dry out....if it does, when exposed to the heat of the lamp?
Cliff Rieders, c34 tall rig, 1990, hull #1022

Mike and Joanne Stimmler

Cliff,
I think the ideal thing to do is to take the deck light apart, clean it out, check all contacts for corrosion and check the gasket or O ring or whatever seals the lens to the body, Silicone grease works well on both the bulb contacts and the rubber gasket/ O ring.
I'm thinking if you leave that moisture in there, it's only gonna cause problems down the road.
I guess it also depends on how hard it is for you to get to the light.

Mike
Mike and Joanne Stimmler
Former owner of Calerpitter
'89 Tall Rig Fin keel #940
San Diego/Mission Bay
mjstimmler@cox.net

Ron Hill

Cliff : I believe that I've posted this before, but I'll say it again:
I've had a Love/Hate relationionship with my Forespar Deck/Steaming light fixture for over 20 years.  The deck light would constantly burn out.  The only real use that I've had for a deck light was to turn it ON when I heard a Cigarette Boat motor - just wanted to make sure that guy saw me at night.  Too many crabpots to sail at night anymore.
It seemed that every year I was asking for a lift up the that fixture to change out the deck light bulb.  Forespar told me to take the glass lens out of the deck light (bottom) as the bulb was getting too hot.  Did that and I still changed it every year/everyother year !! So I finally put the lens back in and sprayed the bulb contacts with BO-7 and that seemed to do the trick!!
I've never really had a problem with the steaming light since I got a new cap from Forspar and put a bit of caulk on the sides - all has been well.

Kind of funny, but the day I was leaving to go down to Boat US and buy a differant deck/steaming light, the latest Practical Sailor arrived in the mail.  One of the articles was from an owner that was getting tired of going up the mast to replace the lights in an Aqua Signal deck/steaming light fixture. 

Soo, I stayed home and decided to live with the Forespar fixture!!!  A thought
Ron, Apache #788