Bottom Paint & Zincs

Previous topic - Next topic

PK

Many thanks to Stu for the advice on moving our boat from Santa Cruz.  The trip went great and we are now finally settled in Alameda.  Now it's time for some terribly overdue maintenance.  We need to paint our hull in a bad way (It's been about 5 years from what we can tell)  Also we need to line up a bottom cleaner / zinc changer.  We anticipate a haulout every 2 years, but need to start somewhere.   So here are the questions?
1.  Are there any strong opinions about where to haul the boat and have it painted?  Prices vs quality work. (Does anyone do this themselves, any place that lets you do it yourself?)
2.  What types, number of coats etc. do most people use in the Bay?
3.  How often do most people have the bottom scrubbed and zincs checked/changed? (assuming you have a 2 year haul and paint schedule)
4.  Who do you use to scrub you bottom/change zincs?
There seem to be an endless number of options in Latitude 38 for boat yards, so curious about the good and bad experiences out there.
We've already had a couple of great weekends on the bay and are looking forward to many more. 
Thanks for any advice.   :D

rirvine

Which Marina do you have your boat in?  Divers usually only cover a few marinas.  Use a guy who does a number of boat in your marina.

Ray

Stu Jackson

Grand Marina has a boat yard.  Use it.  Greg is a great yard manager.  I use them for bottom paint, don't, repeat, do NOT use their rigger.

They use Petit Trinadad, I usually get a coat and a half, lasts two to three years.

Bottom scrub every quarter, we use Full House Diving, Bruce,  925-228-7136 $76.50 per visit plus zinc parts & labor, reliable, trustworthy, always on time.

I recommend reading all of the two pages of this Fleet 1 topics list, including this one:  http://c34.org/bbs/index.php/topic,1947.0.html  Many of these questions have been posted, although maybe not as specifically as you've requested.  Look around. 

I look forward to getting down to the dock sometime in the next two months to say hi in person - my leg re-broke...
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."