Filling Water Tanks

Previous topic - Next topic

Joe and Carol

We have a 1987 Catalina 34, Hull number 244, with factory plastic water tanks, one forward in the salon and one aft in the rear berth area.  When we fill up with fresh water it takes forever with water backing up in port opening plate unless we fill at a trickle flow.  It seems to take too much time to fill? Our overflow vent in rear seems to work properly.  What can we do to speed up the fill?

See you at the Annapolis Boat Show!
Joe & Carol Pyles

YatchaSea
1987 Catalina 34 TR
Hull #244

Sailing Stockton Lake, Missouri

Braxton

Which deck fill are you using?

I find if I fill only using the stern fill that I need to take a break in the middle to allow the water to flow into the forward tank.    You can avoid taking a break by first filling from the forward fill and then the stern fill.   However, some folks on the board advocate only using the stern one to promote better water cycling in the tanks.
Braxton Allport
1988 #805, Ballou - Tacoma WA

Joe and Carol

We have been filling first with midship fill port then finishing with the stern fill port. 
Joe & Carol Pyles

YatchaSea
1987 Catalina 34 TR
Hull #244

Stu Jackson

Jope, you have a blockage somewhere, and given your report, it's in the vent line.  Clean out the vent, check the whole line and continue to do one tank at a time with the valves between the tanks open to only one tank at a time.  The aft tank vent could be clogged by bugs, really...

Your boat was made the same week or month that mine was, and we have never had any trouble.
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

Ron Hill

Joe : I agree that your aft tank vent or fill hose may be clogged.  Easy to disconnect that vent hose from both the tank and the vent and "blow" it out to see if it's clogged.  Could be as simple as a mud dobber clogging the vent!!  The fill hose is 1 1/2" so it's not likely to be clogged, BUT !!

I'm the guy that professes to fill the aft tank (if you have starboard and aft water tanks).  The starboard tank has a smaller tank fill diameter that a 3/4" hose will NOT go into.  That's why I say to open the starboard & aft tanks valves (by the fridge pump) and let gravity fill the starboard tank, because the aft tank is higher.  It also keeps the water in BOTH tanks moving!  A thought
Ron, Apache #788

Lance Jones

That's why I love this forum! I never knew that the aft tank would fill into the forward tank. :shock:No wonder that when I fill the aft first, it takes forever and then when I fill the forward next, it doesn't take any water. I thought I was crazy. Well, crazier than usual.

Thanks!
Lance Jones
1988  C-34 Kitty's Cat
S/N 622

Mike and Joanne Stimmler

Lance,
That would only happen if you had both valves open.
Ron's idea is a good one but I still prefer to run off the rear tank first and use the stbd tank as a reserve, then I can use that one until empty while filling the rear tank.
Many options, your choice.
Mike and Joanne Stimmler
Former owner of Calerpitter
'89 Tall Rig Fin keel #940
San Diego/Mission Bay
mjstimmler@cox.net

Stu Jackson

Ron's idea is great for filling.  Mike's suggestion is on operational one, and both can be used at the same time.  Open both valves to fill from the larger starboard aft fill pipe.  Close one valve, once filled, to use one tank (your choice) as the reserve, so you know when to refill the tank that is being used.  If you fill, and leave both valves open, when you run out of water you ARE completely out!
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

Ron Hill

Just remember you can't "save" water in your "reserve tank" for long periods of time. 
You need to keep water in the tanks moving!  A thought
Ron, Apache #788

Lance Jones

Followed the refilling from the aft tank guidelines. What a nice way to do it. Went down in the cabin afterwards and shut the valve for the starboard tank. Thanks again for all the great ideas and insights!
Lance Jones
1988  C-34 Kitty's Cat
S/N 622

Joe and Carol

To all who responded on our question, a hearty thanks.  We checked vent line and then filled first from aft, toppin off mid ship.  Everything worked correctly and quickly causing those circling the service dock not a long wait for us to fill water tanks.
Joe & Carol Pyles

YatchaSea
1987 Catalina 34 TR
Hull #244