Garmin GPSMAP76

Previous topic - Next topic

Roc

Hi All,
I just got one of these GPS units.  I notice in the instructions they talk about a program you can buy called 'MapSource'.  Those of you who may have this GPS unit, did you get this MapSource upgrade?  What advantages does it give you and was it worth it??

Thanks!!

Roc-
Roc - "Sea Life" 2000 MKII #1477.  Annapolis, MD

amoreau

Hi, I think you are talking about the 176 model.  If so I have it in the color model.  I bought the chip called 'bluechart".  It gives me all the maps from upper massachusetts to long island.  I do most of my sailing off mass and ri.  The detail is terrific and includes the depths which are right on.  My only complaint is that it is hard to see in direct sunlight.  The more expensive chartplotters are better in the sun but you pay alot for it.  Hope this helps.    Al
Al & Candy Moreau  (Dun Wish'n) 1488 Borden light Marina

Roc

I think it's the new wave of GPS units that Garmin has introduced.  It is the unit that is the next model up from the 76.  

Thanks,
Roc-

Stu Jackson

Each of the different manufacturers has different ways to "upgrade" the basic database that you purchase with your individual GPS.  

Garmin uses a combination of CD-Rom and chip inputs, and Magellan does it a bit differently.

I recently did a lot of personal research on this, and discovered, to my amazement and benefit, that I can still use the Magellan GPS 300 that I got for nothing by simply test driving a Cadillac three years ago.

It doesn't have tracking, it doesn't have maps, it just has waypoints and all the navigation information that I need.

I now need to shake out my "summer" reef, go more than three knots, and save some bucks for the real things I need...whatever they may be. The color GPS sure are cool, though.

The catalog information on GPS is confusing at best.  What I did was to go to the manufacturers' websites and download their instruction manuals to get a better feel of what the different units can now do.

PS - didn't buy the Cadillac, but still have the GPS!!!!  :)
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

Rodney

Garmin's "MapSource" is really a broad brush marketing term that covers a variety of Garmin's chart and map oriented products. I currently use Garmin's "United States Waterways and Lights" product with my Garmin 12MAP GPS. This product provides light and buoy information against a basic outline of the coast (I think it includes some highway info also) but has no sounding information.

Also covered under under the "MapSource" name is Garmin's new "Blue Chart" electronic marine navigation charts as well as a host of other land oriented products.

Check this page out for further info:

http://www.garmin.com/cartography/mapSource/

-Tranquility  '87 Hull # 290
San Diego

SteveLyle

and I got the Mapsource CD as well.  The 76 has a built in base-map that's general purpose (primarily major roads) with little or no nautical information.  The Mapsource CD contains nautical chart info.  You pay for an area of charts on the CD (I paid for the option that got me all the charts for eastern Lake Erie and all of Lake Ontario).

Your GPSMAP 76 comes with a PC communication cable. You can select charts to download to your GPSMAP 76 from within the Mapsource program.  You can also set waypoints and routes from within the program to download as well.

Was it worth it?  I'd say yes, but depending on how you use your GPS, it's not absolutely mandatory.

Roc

Hi Steve,
I went to the Garmin site and looked at the BlueChart info.  It seems to me that when this is downloaded on the Map76, the picture on the screen now resembles what you would see on a chart (assuming in black and white, not color)?? (unlike the crude picture that is standard)  Am I interpreting this correctly.  The other question is this, is the screen size of the Map76 big enough to properly show this enhanced detailed information?

Thanks for the tips...

Roc-

ajvh

I just ordered a GPSMAP 76 which has not arrived yet. Yesterday I was in th Annapolis Boaters World store and the salesman demonstrated the Garmin 182 color chartplotter model with a Chesapeake Bay chart on a plug-in chip. The unit was $999 and the chip $189. I checked small coves up the Severn River and all the detail was there.
The only problem is that I don't think the unit was waterproof as it should be mounted on the binacle.

If I had to do it again I would probably get the $100 Etrex which gives all the basics and later get the 182. The Etrex could then be the back-up.

The GPSMAP 76 is a non color version of the 182 with a smaller screen. I hope I like it!

I have not figured out how to do a signature yet!

Tony #338

SteveLyle

Roc,

You're interpreting it correctly.  What you see on your 76 display is exactly what you'd see on the Mapsource chart, which is exactly what you see on the paper chart.

The display is small, but the resolution is quite good.  What that means is that you'll typically only see a few square inches of the chart on the display, and pan around and zoom to get the larger picture.  But the chart info is very clear.  For instance, the chart that covers the mouth of the Genessee river, where Sewanee Belle is docked, clearly shows the specific dock the boat is in, and the display is just as clear.  But when I zoom in that far, I don't even see the entire marina the dock is in.  On a larger chartplotter, the display would cover a lot more than that.

It sounds like you're struggling with whether to spend the $100 or so to equip your GPSMAP with an appropriate map.  But maybe the real question (although it might be too late) is whether the GPSMAP 76 is a practical plotter.  And if the answer to that is no, you could have saved some bucks by getting the GPS 76 (same thing, just no map capability).  Really, without the Mapsource data your GPSMAP 76 isn't functionally much more capable than a GPS 76.  

If it helps, the display of the basemap should give you a feel on the quality of the display of the Mapsource charts.  And Practical Sailor tested handheld GPS chartplotters in the past year, and the GPSMAP 76 was the clear winner.

Jkar

Roc,

Do you have a Pocket PC/WinCE device?  If you do, I would return your Map76, get the regular 76 and invest the $99 in Maptech Pocket Navigator.  Connect that to the the 76 for an instant chartplotter addition, that has the ability to work independently of the GPS unit.  Maptech uses the standard NOAA electronic charts and allows you to use your home PC to create routes, upload/download tracks, and create waypoints to name a few.  Plus on your Pocket PC/WinCE device the resolution is alot better.  It is the best $99 I have invested since my original $300 in Nobeltec's product for my laptop.  Now I have that below and my handheld at the wheel, and they all use the same charts/media.  If you have a Palm device, there are free apps that do the same thing, just at a lower scale.
Heck, if you have an iPAQ return the whole setup and buy the sleeve/software bundle from Maptech.

http://www.maptech.com/products/PocketNavigator