Shower Sump pump

Previous topic - Next topic

ghebbns

Hi all,

I know there have been a lot of posts on the shower sump and I have read most of them.  My issue is slightly different (or it might be).  Currently there is nothing attached to the back of the sump pump switch so I am assuming it has been disabled.  There is water in the actual drain so it is not draining or is blocked.  Obviously I have to see what the PO did to determine how to move forward.  My problem is that I can't seem to see anything.  Should I be able to feel the pump under the sole?  Is my only option to cut the inspection hole in the floor as described in the May 2001 Tech Notes?

I have a different hose setup under the sink than described in the manual so I need to figure out what has been done but it is hard to do that blind.

Any thoughts or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Greg
1990 C34 #1040
M 25XP

Ken Juul

No need to cut holes.  The pump should be visible under the head sink, to the right as you look in.  If it is there you can't miss it.
Ken & Vicki Juul
Luna Loca #1090
Chesapeake Bay
Past Commodore C34IA

Stu Jackson

Ken's right.  There are three major components:  the sump which is just a box, the check valve and the pump.  I had to replace our OEM switch, I just used a simple toggle switch from Radio Shack.  I replaced the OEM black check valve with a white 3/4" check valve from West Marine, forgot the manufacturer.
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

Ron Hill

Greg : As mentioned you should be able to see an 8" whale black diaphragm pump on the port side beside the drain hose to the head sink!  
There is a hose that connects from the drain to a one way valve check valve and then to the diaphragm pump.
Ron, Apache #788

Stu Jackson

Check valve pictures here:  http://c34.org/bbs/index.php/topic,4114.0.html

Old on page 1, new on page 2.
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

lazybone

A bunch of years ago my shower sump went belly up.  I pulled out the pump with the best intention of fixing it but...the shower has remained plumbed directly to the bilge.

Anyway, when I take a shower the fresh water runs over my admittedly filthy stinky body mixed with some (green type friendly) soap into the bilge where I then take my old toilet brush and scrub around and pump it all where you know where.  When I'm done my bilge and me feel great.

I'm I doing something hideous.

Should I fix my shower pump.
Ciao tutti

S/V LAZYBONES  #677

Ted Pounds

Well, since the shower pump (when it's working) pumps overboard, I'd say you're doing a good thing by making the shower water do double-duty on the way out...   :D
Ted Pounds
"Molly Rose"
1987 #447

Rick Allen

My PO added a Y-Valve at the pump with a hose to the bilge so the shower pump can also act as a secondary bilge pump if needed... Kinda cool, but I've never had to use it...
Rick Allen, C34 IA Commodore
Former owner of "PainKiller", 1988 C34 MKI, Sail#746, std. rig, wing keel.