Mainsheet Traveler

Previous topic - Next topic

Tom P, IMPULSE #233, '86

The factory installed Garhauer mainsheet traveler on my '86 C34 does not cut the mustard for easy mainsail trim (racing)...

It's the older style "wheel" car (2 wheels each side of the car), and has a 3:1 purchase...

I need a traveler system which can be EASILY adjusted by my female crew/68 yr old father that doesn't require the use of a winch when the wind gets up...So I'm looking for a ball bearing style with a minimum of 6:1 purchase...

I installed a Harken on my last boat (non-Catalina) and it was the best money I ever spent; worked like a dream...

I'd love to install a Harken ball bearing 6:1 traveler system on the C34 but have run into several roadblocks with the installation; long story short is I'd have to drill all the required bolt holes in the track to match the existing holes on the boat, or possibly re-drill the holes in the boat...Maybe not such a big job, but I'd like to avoid it if I could...

Here are the questions:

1.  Does anyone out there have the newer style Garhauer Ssytem; the one where the sheaves are forward of the track/car...Is this newer style car roller bearing, and is it a 6:1 purchase???
How easy is it to control in medium to heavy air?  Do you use the cabin top winches???

2.  Has anyone installed a Harken on their C34???  If so, can you tell me how you did it (which track did you use; high rise or std)???  Did you relocate the holes in the track, or in the boat?

2.  Does anyone know how the C34 traveler risers are fabricated on the boat???  The current traveler screws must thread into something molded into the risers since they don't come through the cabin roof...Did Catalina mold large blocks of metal in the risers which could be drilled and tapped, or did they just mold in nuts where they needed them???

Any help would be appreciated!!!

Tom

rirvine

Tom:

I have a 1997 C34 that came with a 6:1 man traveler control systems. It used Garheaur 3 sheaves control block mounted in front of the traveler and 2 sheaves blocks mounted on the traveler car.  The original 3 sheaves blocks froze up this year and Garheaur replacement them with two new blocks (free â€" Garheaur are great to deal with).  The control block at the end of the traveler are mounted on a plat the runs under the traveler.

The original scheme used cam cleats mount on the backside of the main traveler â€" hell to get un-cleat and allow the main to be played.   I changed mine to run from the 3 sheave control block to a return block mounted in the cabin roof â€" just forward on the traveler and then back to a cam cleats mounted towards the back of the cabin top â€" inboard of the winches and aft of them.  This allows the main traveler to played from the wind ward rail and by my wife without the use of the winches.

Hope this helps.

Ray

bjmansfield

Tom:

I upgraded our '91 C34 traveler to the new Garhauer car with ball bearings and 6:1 purchase.  A night and day difference and the price was right. The wife can now control the main in all but the highest winds.  What she has to be really careful with is releasing it in heavy winds as there is very little friction in the system now.  Haven't run the traveler lines to the cockpit per Ray but is on my list of things to do one of these days.

If you haven't already done so, recommend you seriously look at upgrading all your mainsheet blocks to the Garhauer Lite blocks when you do the traveler upgrade.

Jack Mansfield
Port Aransas, TX

pklein

I second the comments of Jack Mansfield.  

In Feb 2001 I went to the Garhauler booth at Strictly Sail in Chicago and had excellent advice from Bill (the owner).  They sell retro parts that fit on the track of my '89.  I bought a new car (roller bearing) and new 6-1 sheaves.  Installation was easy since I didn't have to remove the track.  I purchased red and green trim lines so I can have any landlubber adjust the trim ("Ease the green pull on the red!!")  Now into my second season of enjoyment.  Call Bill.  

And if you have enough spare change, replace all your mainsheet blocks, halyard blocks and the halyard sheaves for main and jib with their new roller bearing models.  Well worth the money and a lot less expensive than Harken. ;)  :p

Phill Klein
Andiamo #977
Montrose Harbor - Chicago

Tom P, IMPULSE #233, '86

Thanks for the responses guys...

I decided to go with the Garhauer traveler...I've been in touch with them over the last couple days and I'm very impressed with their super customer service and reasonable prices...They talked with me at great length to make sure all my needs were met.

And since I'm ordering the traveler, I'm also going to upgrade the mainsheet system too...Garhauer is working up a 7:1 system (vice 5:1) with a cleat on the fiddle block, while also leaving the other free end going to the winch (like original); all with ball bearing blocks...That way we can "fast trim" off the fiddle, then fine trim with the winch...

After racing just once, we found that trying to bring the main up after a downwind leg took way too long, and was too much work...So with the new system, we can pull the majority of the line up from the fiddle, then switch back to the winch side when it gets loaded...Of course we have to remember to keep one end of the sheet in a cleat at all times :-)

As far as the rigid vang goes; I've never really played with one...I do have the regular 4:1 line vang, though...I guess I need to look into it as well...

Once again, thanks for the responses...It's really great you guys share knowledge!

Tom

dave davis

I have the old system mainsheet that leads to the starboard winch. The other end of the mainsheet leads to a cam cleat on a triple block. The triple block is attached to the traveler.This system allows me to do the quick and easy effort adjustments with the cam cleat and for heavy duty work,finish it off with the winch.

If your out single handed or short handed, make the mainsheet long enough so that you can snap the mainsheet off the cleat from behind the wheel to make adjustments.The same goes for the lenth of the traveler lines, they can be cotrolled from behind the wheel.

These suggestions work fine if you do not have a dodger that gets in the way.
Dave Davis San Francisco, 707, Wind Dragon, 1988, South Beach