Pink bilge water

Previous topic - Next topic

David Arnold

I am getting a pink liquid coming in my bilge; it has to be deisel fuel but I can't figure where it is coming from.  It is not leaking from any fittings in and around the engine or filters so I can only imagine that it's leaking from the tank. Is there an easy way to access the tank to inspect and tighten the fittings?
David
"Prints of Tides"
Naragansett Bay, RI
2005 - #1707

Ron Hill

David : To access the fuel tank :  Pull off the port side aft cabin panel.  It's held in place by screws.  You'll be able see the right side and top of the fuel tank.

FIRST Make sure it fuel!!  Take a paper towel and sop up some of the pink liquid and smell it. 
Ron, Apache #788

Jeff Kaplan

david, as ron stated, make sure it is diesel. could be pink antifreeze used for winterizing coming out of the hot water heater, leaking into the bilge or from the water system under the sink. check everywhere. diesel fuel stinks, so you cabin would have a smell. if it is diesel, run engine and look at the fuel pump, injectors, and fuel lines  and fittings. good luck...jeff
#219, 1986 tall rig/shallow draft. "sedona sunset" atlantic-salem,ma

David Arnold

Strange...  The domestic water has been in use for over a month now and both tanks have been repeatedly emptied and filled so there can't be any potable antifreeze in the system.  There really is no strong odor of fuel but the liquid is slimy so it must be petrolium based.  The only other pink antifreeze is that which is within the closed loop of the engine and I have not had to refill the reservoir.  I'm figuring it must be enough fuel to show itself but not enough to smell very strong unless anyone has other thoughts I will do as Ron suggested this coming weekend.
David
"Prints of Tides"
Naragansett Bay, RI
2005 - #1707

Roc

Other than your water supply, there are other systems that pink antifreeze had to be used (head, Air Cond system, anything that has fresh water running through it). Could it be from some of those places. Do you run pink antifreeze through your bilge pump and manual pump at the end of the season?  If so, that might be the backwash of the residual antifreeze still in the hose making it's way back in the bilge while sailing.  This happens to me at the start of the season.  Diesel has a strong smell, so if it was diesel, I would think you would have known it.
Roc - "Sea Life" 2000 MKII #1477.  Annapolis, MD

RV61

Dave,
Another Pink Fluid to think about would be the transmission fluid. Take a look under the engine and see if you pink oil.
Rick
Rick V
Interlude
1986 Hull #237
Lake Erie

Ken Juul

Transmission fluid is red.  A slight leak diluted might show up as pink.  Check the fluid level and trans for leaks.  

Do you store extra fluids (Dexron, antifreeze, fuel additive, etc) on the boat?  If yes maybe one of the containers is leaking.
Ken & Vicki Juul
Luna Loca #1090
Chesapeake Bay
Past Commodore C34IA

Ken Juul

Rick you beat me by 30 seconds. :clap
Ken & Vicki Juul
Luna Loca #1090
Chesapeake Bay
Past Commodore C34IA

RV61

Ken,
I wish you were saying that after a sail race!!!!

Good thought on the storage of other chemicals and actually checking the transmission fluid levels. 
Rick
Rick V
Interlude
1986 Hull #237
Lake Erie

tonywright

I suggest that you also remove the "radiator cap" to make sure that the system is actually full. If there is some kind of airlock, the reservoir may be full, but it is not actually replacing what is leaking.  This was the case on my engine when I got the boat. I had to bleed air out of the system to get the reservoir to actually connect.

The cap is normally under pressure and will squirt fluid as soon as you loosen it.  If it is just air under it, you have to top up the system and bleed the air.

Tony
Tony Wright
#1657 2003 34 MKII  "Vagabond"
Nepean Sailing Club, Ottawa, Canada

David Arnold

Some very good ideas have been  raised.  I have ruled out the transmission fluid since the level is full and no evidence of a leak under the tranny.   I had not thought of the manual bilge pump; I did pump anit-freeze into it in the fall and have not used it since.  I don't think it is from any containers but I sure will check this weekend and report back.  Thanks for the really good ideas!
David
"Prints of Tides"
Naragansett Bay, RI
2005 - #1707

Ken Heyman

Dave,

It's hard to imagine that it could be odorless Diesel. When did you launch this season? Pink antifreeze is slimy and does back flow after running the bilge pump a bit---particularly shortly after launch.

Ken
Ken Heyman
1988 c34 #535
"Wholesailor"
Chicago, Il

David Arnold

Launched in early May.  Could be from the hand operated bilge pump but definately not the main electic pump.  Will check this weekend and let you know what I find.  Thanks again for all the feedback!
David
"Prints of Tides"
Naragansett Bay, RI
2005 - #1707

Stu Jackson

Quote from: David Arnold on June 25, 2009, 06:31:56 PM
Could be from the hand operated bilge pump but definately not the main electic pump. 

How do you know this?  Do you have separate thru hulls for each pump?
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

David Arnold

I traced down the source of the "pink" liquid.  Turns out the Racor has an extremely slow leak; not enough to give off a strong diesel odor when it mixes in with the water dripping from the shaft and running into the bilge to dissipate even further but that;s it.  Mystery solved!  Thanks for all the help.
David
"Prints of Tides"
Naragansett Bay, RI
2005 - #1707