Combiner?

Previous topic - Next topic

WTunnessen

Does anyone recognize this device?  There is nothing printed on it - but I did not detach it to look at the back side.

Is it a battery combiner of some sort?

The Guest 20 amp battery charger (which I assume is original to the boat?) was connected to it.  The leads run to the main battery switch. I have not traced alternator lead to confirm if it is connected directly to this device.

Gaulois #579 C34 Tall Rig - CYC West River, MD

td

Given the size of the heat-sink.  It might  be a battery isolator.
td
Peregrine
#543, 1987

jmnpe

It is most likely a diode type battery isolator. However, the pair of wires off of each of the 3 upper terminals makes no sense. How many batteries are on the boat? How many charging sources are on the boat?

John
1988 Hull 728
Otra Vez
John Nixon
Otra Vez
1988 Hull # 728

Stu Jackson

WT this is a continuation of your earlier Xantrex charger qustion.  You could have left it as a continuing thread there, so here's the link to that topic:  http://c34.org/bbs/index.php/topic,5010.0.html

That looks like a battery isolator and should be, along with your old charger, one of the first things to remove from your electrical system.  Isolators eat voltage, which is what, when charging, your batteries need in addition to current.

Throw it out, and study the electrical articles referenced in your earlier topic.  Before you go much further, unless you know boat electrical systems and what you are doing, you might want to draw up a wiring diagram.
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."