running rigging getting fouled on hatch

Previous topic - Next topic

Jim Hardesty

Shamrock has in mast furling.  The mail furling line, boom vang and outhaul are lead over the main salon hatch, rub on the hatch some and occasionally get jammed under the hatch.  Tried longer shackles on the blocks at the mast base but they did little to help. It's not a big problem but I would appreciate knowing what other owners have done.
Jim Hardesty
2001 MKII hull #1570 M35BC  "Shamrock"
sailing Lake Erie
from Commodore Perry Yacht Club
Erie, PA

Stu Jackson

Jim, without a picture of your setup, it's hard to say.  We have a standard main, but a rigid vang.  The PO had larger bails put on the boom to hold the mainsheet around the upper boom end of the vang which keeps that out of the way, so the only issue we have is the lines for the vang, which are parallel to the hatch when it's fully open, so we don't have that issue.  My avatar is hard to read so small, but let me know if a blow up would help, or I may have some other flix that show it better.

Just as a standard operating procedure, we rarely ever have the hatch open when we're moving.  There are too many boat wakes that could end up inside our boat, and it's just not worth it to us.  of course, it rarely get as hot here as it does where you live and sail.
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

Stu Jackson

Jack, here's a flix
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

Jack Hutteball

Jack,

I have hull #1555 and here is what mine look like.  Lines just barely miss the hatch, not sure why yours do not clear it.  When I open the hatch, on corner just barely touches one of the inboard lines.  It would seem that the location of the turning blocks would be the same on our boats.

Jack
Jack and Ruth Hutteball
Mariah lll, #1555, 2001
Anacortes, Washington

Peter Taylor

Jim
For what its worth I have a 2005 C36 with furling mast and have exactly the same problem. I have brought the topping lift (I have a solid vang) back to a spare rope clutch and it too just fouls and catches under the main hatch as you describe. It's not serious but more annoying and may eventually chafe the lines. Not much can be done as it is the line from the mast blocks to the clutches.

Peter
Peter Taylor
Altair
2005 C36 Mk 11
Melbourne Australia

Ken Juul

It's hard to see the geometry of the lines in the pictures.  Would it be possible to change the stbd outboard block to a double and run the lines out to the pad rather than the mast base?  Or possibly create a second cabin top block pad for the offending lines.
Ken & Vicki Juul
Luna Loca #1090
Chesapeake Bay
Past Commodore C34IA

Stu Jackson

More flix  [search index links:  boom bail, rigid vang, deck organizer]

Wayne

Jim I was at my boat this weekend, a 2006 with in-mast furling.  My furling line also runs barely under the lip of the hatch, but since the line is always under some tension it isn't a problem on my boat.  I was looking at where the blocks are attached to the mast base.  All of my blocks are on the outboard side of the mast base plate leaving three or four open holes on the aft lip of the plate.  Could your block be shacked to one of the aft holes?
2006 MKII Hull # 1762
San Francisco, Ca

tonywright

Mine foul the hatch also. They are attached to the side plate at the base of the mast. There is no obvious solution. So we have to make sure that we don't trap the lines when closing the hatch.

Tony
Tony Wright
#1657 2003 34 MKII  "Vagabond"
Nepean Sailing Club, Ottawa, Canada