Midship cleat PHOTOS / Flix

Previous topic - Next topic

Craig Illman

The outside track on my 1991 C34 only extends to the bow end of my gate stanchion. I've had track mounted cleats since I've owned my boat, but they're a bit too far aft to be completly effective for docking. They're ok for spring lines, albeit a little short.

I found some attractive Accon 8" folding cleats online and made the investment in hardware and tools to install them properly. The weather finally cooperated the last two weekends and I was able to get the holes drilled, potted with epoxy and re-drilled. With help from my local trustworthy C34 officer, J.H., we got them mounted on Friday. The location just forward of the deck fill and pumpout fittings isn't perfect, but it should work much better than my track mounted location.

wind dancer

Nice work!  Where did you find those cleats?
Jay Guard, 1996 Catalina 380, #3, "Aquila", Seattle

Craig Illman

Jay - I picked up the cleats on eBay. Search for Accon. I bought the ones that required bolts, they have ones with studs instead. I had to get the bolts, washers & nuts separately. I managed to guess the length at 2.5". I probably could have got them at Tacoma Screw. The backing plates were also acquired online and I had to slowly progress through bits to get up to the 1/2" hole size with the drill press.

Craig

wind dancer

Craig,

Thanks for the info -- I'm putting this on the to-do list.

Jay
Jay Guard, 1996 Catalina 380, #3, "Aquila", Seattle

Craig Illman

I forgot to mention that I strongly recommend MaineSail's http://www.pbase.com/mainecruising/sealing_the_deck article.

Stu Jackson

Nice job, Craig, looks great.  For those of you with inboard tracks, you can purchase a slide on cleat, like this one.  Just be careful to get a fairlead from the cleat to the dock to avoid taking out a stanchion.  It's easy to get a fairlead with this position.
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

waterdog

Stu,

Is that Nylon anchor rode running through your genoa sheet cars?   Do we need to start a collection to get you some nice sheets? 
Steve Dolling
Former 1988 #804, BlackDragon - Vancouver BC
Now 1999 Manta 40 cat

Craig Illman

Steve - No, I think they're recycled dock lines that he splices into sixty foot lengths himself.

Stu Jackson

No, ho, me hearties!  It's just anchor line I ran through the jib fairleads to show how you can use a jib winch as an anchor "winchlass" [term invented by a contributor to the co.com 'site, not mine I'm afraid!!].

Only picture handy of the placement of the midship cleat on the track, but it does show it works with line running through the very close fairlead, even horizontally - there's a way better lead from the jib's clew.   :D
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

Ron Hill

Craig : I like your new cleats!! 
As I wrote in a recent Mainsheet article, get a mid ship cleat that is 8" as 6" is too small.  I used the Schaeffer 8" stainless cleat on the track, but Craig is correct that you're best to get the midship cleat further forward.  A thought
Ron, Apache #788

Craig Illman

Follow-up - After a solo trip over to the fuel dock & back, I have to say I'm very pleased I made this upgrade. I'll try and get another picture showing it from the dock with a line attached.

Michael Shaner

Craig...I'm interested an any pics you can post. Our track mounted mid ship cleats are too far aft...
Michael & Alison Shaner

Ron Hill

Michael : From Craig's picture - that cleat he installed is just forward of the vented stanchion and the waste cap.  It's well forward of the front of the inboard Genoa track.  A thought
Ron, Apache #788

Rick Johnson

Looks to be about the same place that Catalina installs optional midship cleats on a 34 MkII.  Great minds do think alike!

Rick
Rick Johnson, #1110, 1990, s/v Godspeed, Lake Travis, TX

Craig Illman

Rick - I think I like mine better. A couple more pictures.