New opening ports / New Found Metals

Previous topic - Next topic

Fuzzy

Just received 6 new ports that I ordered when at the Miami Boat Show.  They are from New Found Metals and are the
heavy looking plastic ones, TriMatrix ports I think they're called.  I'm impressed with the looks of them so far (haven't
installed them yet) even though they're made in China.  We still have ice on the Lake here so I'm jealous of you guys
that are (even though you are in northern US & Canada) able to start launching or looking at launching in a few weeks.
Anyone out there changed their opening ports??

Larry

Larry G. Trumble
East Jordan, MI
Katarina
1987 #475

Jack Hutteball

There is a good article about that very topic, replacing opening ports coming in the May issue of Mainsheet.  Look for it!
Jack
Jack and Ruth Hutteball
Mariah lll, #1555, 2001
Anacortes, Washington

sharkey

Just about to change mine out.  Found out that the black plastic "buttons" that cover the screws on the Lemar port fittings pop off with a bit of effort and a thin narrow screw driver (thought I had to break them open at one stage).  Having new glass cut for each...should be easy - any suggestions on best material?  Issues?  Gasgets are still pretty good (no leaks).

waterdog

Sharkey,

If you are not replacing the whole port, only the lense, you can check this out:

http://c34.org/bbs/index.php/topic,4101.msg23471.html#msg23471

The material you want to use is acrylic.   I believe 7mm is the right thickness.   Polycarbonate is another option, but Lewmar doesn't recommend it.

Steve Dolling
Former 1988 #804, BlackDragon - Vancouver BC
Now 1999 Manta 40 cat

RV61

Larry,
Several years back I changed out my Ports and a couple things to be sure of which you can do with a dry fit (before caulk). The cabin top sides are angled thus be sure your new ports will drain at the angle of the cabin top sides unless you plan on making a shim to bring more vertical. Second on the inside of the main saloon check to see that the toggles that you loosen to open the port clear the wood strips that run from bow to stern just below the opening ports. On my boat it was close on the two forward ports in the main salon.

One other thing I did was used epoxy around the cut outs and filled and redrilled where the screws went thru to be sure next time they leak the core stays dry.
Rick 
Rick V
Interlude
1986 Hull #237
Lake Erie

BillG

Bill
Rock Hall, MD

Fuzzy

Rick:  Thanks for all the tips.  I hope everything works out ok, I paid enough for the ports.

Larry
Larry G. Trumble
East Jordan, MI
Katarina
1987 #475

Fuzzy

Bill:  Yes, I saw that site and the guy did a super job of detailing all the steps.
Larry
Larry G. Trumble
East Jordan, MI
Katarina
1987 #475

Stu Jackson

"That guy" is "Maine Sail" a regular contributor to our mb.
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."