Mike and Joanne Stimmler

Has anyone found a good source for NavPods?     :donno:
Mike and Joanne Stimmler
Former owner of Calerpitter
'89 Tall Rig Fin keel #940
San Diego/Mission Bay
mjstimmler@cox.net

Jack Hutteball

It has ben some time, but the best price I found is Brokenlegdave.com. I think it's now Daves Marine Electronics.  I looked via Google and he still seems to be getting good testimonials.
Jack
Jack and Ruth Hutteball
Mariah lll, #1555, 2001
Anacortes, Washington

Mike and Joanne Stimmler

Thanks for the info Jack.I should have put more details in my post, but I've purchased a Raymarine C80 display with GPS and radar, the ST60 speed, depth and wind package and the SPX-5 wheel pilot.
I'm trying to figure out the best configuration for the NavPod. There are a few options. I'll have to replace the stock pedestal guard with either the singel bend or double bend and the stock one is one inch diameter, some of the new ones are 1 1/4 inch diameter.
With the pods, I can either go with a single pod that houses the C80 and the four ST60 displays or one pod for the four ST60's on top and another for the C80 underneath. What do you think and how did you set up yours?

Mike
Mike and Joanne Stimmler
San Diego/Mission Bay
mjstimmler@cox.net

Stu Jackson

Mike!  You're going to the dark side and installing a "view defeater" at your helm?!?

Nice choice of equipment, though.  I'm wondering what kinda combinations you can possible make with that menu of data points.  It's either gotta fit somehow in what's available on the marked, or something special like Steve Lyle did.

Given most likely the former for your plans with the new binnacle, I recall that the NavPod line doesn't have that many different parts, so I'd look to see what they have that would fit your instrument plans and go from there, rather than the other way around.

This enhancement would make a great wiki.  8)
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

Mike and Joanne Stimmler

Thanks Stu, I'll try to document my progress with pictures as I go, but this may take awhile.

Mike
Mike and Joanne Stimmler
San Diego/Mission Bay
mjstimmler@cox.net

Stu Jackson

Mike, you may be interested in this from co.comhttp://forums.catalina.sailboatowners.com/showthread.php?t=107009

The BIG downside to the nice one with the dark wood finished top (Olo) is that you can no longer grab the binnacle SS tube.  In my mind this is a BIG safety issue, since in heavy weather we use that as a very important handhold.  Steve Lyle's design, published in a Tech Notes a few years ago, also had this drawback, as nice and functional as it really was.  Your idea to extend the binnacle tubing is quite appropriate.  My thoughts about large displays at the helm are discussed in the review of the C375, reply # 9 here: http://c34.org/bbs/index.php/topic,4232.0.html.  Just one man's opinion...
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

Jack Hutteball

Mike, here is a picture of our installation.  Long narrow unit on top houses the 3 ST60 instruments and the the square one below houses a Garman 2006 C which I think is about the same size as the C80.  As you can see, there is no problem seeing over the top of them.
Jack
Jack and Ruth Hutteball
Mariah lll, #1555, 2001
Anacortes, Washington

Mike and Joanne Stimmler

Jack, that's a nice looking setup. Did you have to change the pedestal guard from 1" to 1 1/4" and if so, was that a pain. One of my concerns is being able to get all the wiring through the tubes. It looks like the guard you have has a double bend. There is a pod pictured in WM's new '09 catalogue on page 50 on the upper righthand side that holds a C80 and 4 ST60 displays in one pod. This may allow me to get by with a single bend guard. Still not sure if I need the larger diameter tubes.

Stu, I also agree with your concerns about being able to see over the top of the guard and also have a top piece to hold onto and that doesn't seem to be a problem with Jack's setup.

I'm sure I'll figure it all out eventually, especially with all the help of this board.

Thanks to all,
Mike
Mike and Joanne Stimmler
San Diego/Mission Bay
mjstimmler@cox.net

Jack Hutteball

Mike,
My guard is a 1" tube and it does have the double bend.  Came that way on our MK ll.  The sloped portion is great for the GPS.  I did not pull any new wires up thru the tubes as the ST60's were already installed.  I picked up power from those to power the GPS unit and mounted the antenna on top as you see.  Made an easy run of the antenna wire a short distance inside the tube.  Saves the pain of taking it down and back up thru the stern rail tubing as most owners seem to do.  Still plenty of hand hold on top in a rough seaway.  This set up works great for us.
Jack
Jack and Ruth Hutteball
Mariah lll, #1555, 2001
Anacortes, Washington

Stu Jackson

Mike, Rod's got some good ideas for installation, here:  http://www.pbase.com/mainecruising/boat_projects

Mike and Joanne Stimmler

Stu, thats an excellent link! Along with the NavPod Stuff, I really liked the pictures of the heat exchanger and actually ALL those projects.

Jack, do you also have a radar cable going through your tubes. I was hoping I could find someone who has delt with running wires through the 1 inch tubes to see if I can get by with the 1 inch or if I need to go to the 1 1/4 inch tubes. The larger tubes would require new feet and a new bracket where the compass is. Another expense.

Mike
Mike and Joanne Stimmler
San Diego/Mission Bay
mjstimmler@cox.net

Stu Jackson

Mike, I should have added a suggestion to go back to that link for a few days, 'cuz they keep adding to it.

Jack Hutteball

Mike, I do not have radar... never have fog here in the sunny Northwest. :lol:
Jack and Ruth Hutteball
Mariah lll, #1555, 2001
Anacortes, Washington