Cabin sole repair

Previous topic - Next topic

crieders

Refinished sole only a few years ago.  Has developed two darkening areas and a few small areas which finish is orange yellow flaking. Need entire piece be refinished or can it be cleaned with bleach and spot refinished? Thanks
Cliff Rieders, c34 tall rig, 1990, hull #1022

Stu Jackson

Cliff, in order to even begin to deal with your question, what did you use to refinish the sole?
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

Jon Schneider

Stu's right that it would help to know how you refinished them in the first place, but I have to say that I've never had any luck with partial retouching/refinishing projects.  Plus, the dark spots are mold, so somehow water is getting under the current varnish (or poly) and being trapped there; that might begin to happen elsewhere on that sheet.  I had a few dark spots that were on the bilge boards from the original finish.  I tried everything to get them out after scraping and sanding the surface down.  I never could.  I now think of them as "character."  One of these days I'll get around to replacing that board.  If I were you, I'd try doing a touch-up job, but be prepared to re-do the whole sheet. 
Jon Schneider
s/v Atlantic Rose #1058 (1990)
Greenport, NY USA

Albreen

I too have darkened patches on the cabin sole that I hope to refinish. I took one sole panel home and will attempt when the weather warms a bit. I believe I read somewhere in a previous post that oxalic acid could clean up the dark water stains after the overcoat of varnish was removed. Does anyone have experience with this?
Paul Leible
1987 C34 "ALBREEN", SR/FK, M25XP
Sailing Lake Champlain

Jon Schneider

Quote from: albreen on February 18, 2009, 06:29:25 AM
I believe I read somewhere in a previous post that oxalic acid could clean up the dark water stains after the overcoat of varnish was removed. Does anyone have experience with this?

I read the same thing (plus lots of other advice).  Been there, done that.  It doesn't.  Of course it all depends on the nature and cause of the dark spots.  Since mine were on the bilge board just aft of the mast, I naturally assumed that it was mold that occurred as a result of drips of water coming through the partners.  But perhaps it was a bottle of black ink spilled by a PO on a well-worn patch of the bilge board.  Dunno.  Either way, nothing worked. 
Jon Schneider
s/v Atlantic Rose #1058 (1990)
Greenport, NY USA

Albreen

I was expecting you would say this - it is a sailboat afterall! ................. :cry4`. I guess I need to add some character too or replace the sections entirely. But, they're in such good shape otherwise........ :D
Paul Leible
1987 C34 "ALBREEN", SR/FK, M25XP
Sailing Lake Champlain