Help Why did I buy this Fine Sailing Machine ?

Previous topic - Next topic

Stu Jackson

Hi, Peter,

The GOOD news is that if it's only the fridge, then ya got it made!  Actually, it sounds like fridge and storage.  Jon's right about the date of the design, but it sure has kept solid and functional through the years.  One of the basic things that most people brought up when they first bought the boat was EXACTLY the issue you are describing.  This goes way back to the 1987 Mainsheet Tech Notes.   Sounds like you know what you're talking about.

That said, spend some time perusing the website and search on storage.  Most of us, having determined that this is what we have, have been very creative in "making space."  The shelves in the hanging locker (previously linked) are but one of many examples of how previous C34 owners have dealt with the issue. 

The Mark II is different than the Mark II, so I can't contribute much more in detail because our drawers and sliding door shelves are completely different.  We have the sliding black doors in the saloon, which hide, believe you me, lotsa stuff.  We find everything is pretty much at hand once you figure out where you like to put things.  The answer is the fridge is the fridge, and the boat does not have any more of those kind of unrefrigerated spaces.  In fact, the Alder Barbour was an option on the early boats and many used, gulp, real ICE. 

And Jon's point about it being good for sailing AND for cooling without having stuff come out when sailing is well taken.  I reviewed the new C375 and there was a good discussion about their new fridge and storage arrangement.  Here's the link: http://c34.org/bbs/index.php/topic,4232.0.html
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

ellispe

Quote from: Jon Schneider on January 07, 2009, 07:25:39 PM
Peter, you seem pretty focused on the fridge.  If you're simply wondering why CY hasn't adopted a more contemporary galley configuration, the answer is that the C34 was designed in 1982-83, and then it was marginally enhanced (IMO) in the Mk II in 1994.  IOW, it's an old (I would say classic) design.

Jon,

I have to say the lines of the boat were hard to resist. She is so sexy from the outside that I just had to own one.  I guess my hangups on the fridge are due to my love of hanging out for  long weekends  with friends at Catalina Island in California. We eat and drink a lot. I think the Ice Chest for the drinks  will have to suffice and as I mentioned, I should  actuallly leave the dock and head to the Island for a weekend to see how the food storage and refrideration works out. I guess if I really feel that I need more space I could swap out the Oven for a frontloading fridge.

PS that Table looks HOT !. Thats going to be my first project.

Jon Schneider

Quote from: ellispe on January 07, 2009, 09:29:09 PM
I have to say the lines of the boat were hard to resist. She is so sexy from the outside that I just had to own one. 

Well, there you go... you started this thread wondering what was good about the C34 versus the C320 and the C36, and you've already discovered your own answer.  Keep thinking about it and you'll find other answers as well.  And be sure to test out Waterdog's dirty little secret.  The rest of us are pissed that he let that secret out, because it's going to be hard to make it down the dock once it's known that you own a C34 ;)
Jon Schneider
s/v Atlantic Rose #1058 (1990)
Greenport, NY USA

Stu Jackson

So sorry it took me so long to get the message.  Here's the link to another fridge for you:  http://www.c34.org/projects/projects-refrigeration-2.html

I'll resist asking [again]about how much you need for a weekend.  When does the party start? :D
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

Michael Shaner

Mike,

Thanks for posting the second pic...hope that thing isn't patent protected...plagiarizing is not beneath me. Surely the folks on the Chesapeake could never trace the design back to Louisiana?
:think
Michael & Alison Shaner

Momentum M

I agree with Jon in regards of our top loading fridge.  As we all know cold air goes down...so with a front loading unit guess what happen when you do open the door....yes all the cold drops to the floor along with the beerssss and some food.  Some Hunters models have there fridge mounted on either port or starboard side so you better open the door when your healing on the "good" side.
Since our units depends mainly on our batteries bank...it does take lots of juice to replenish that lost cold !!!
We go on 3wks trips and my "cook" manage it pretty well by preparing and freezing before our departure and then load the bottom of the fridge with the most lasting/frozen items and built up.  We also use a portable ice box with ice for the first few days to contain food that has to be use first.
We don't have any solar panels/wind generator but do have a Honda 2000 that I may use for a max of 3hrs. per trip (3wks) and we anchor most of the time so I must say that our fridge does the job. The batteries recharge very fast when we do motor so that takes care of the bank.
As far of storage...well lets say that no matter where you are...space is always..to an extent a problem.  Move from a house to a condo and you'll see!!  We use the shelf in the V bert for our clothing, the cabinets on the starboard side for dry food and the one on the port side for CD, dvd, etc.  Behind the cushions all pop cans, beer, water btle and wine.
It all boils down to how much you need to bring along for you trip.
I always told my wife that if she needs all that she's got at home to go boating....well we'll stay home.

I'm sure that you've noticed before at the airport some group going on the same vacation spot...some with 3/4 big pieces of luggage and some with 1 or 2 small bags!!!

I'm sure that if you really like sailling you'll not only like but you'll love your boat and you'll forget the rest 'cause you'll change what you can and accept the rest.

Good wind and Happy sailling

Welcome to our group
Serge & Carole Cardinal
C 34 Mk II 2005 - 1719
Wing Keel
Fresh water, Ontario Lake, Canada/Usa
On Hard from Oct to May

Jon Schneider

And, Peter (and all who haven't already), don't forget to join the C34 International Association in order to support this "free" (to you, not to the Association) site and receive Mainsheet magazine.  At $25/year ($45 for two years), the ideas you'll get may even save you enough to buy back one of your kidneys ;)
Jon Schneider
Greenport, NY USA

ellispe

Quote from: Jon Schneider on January 08, 2009, 08:05:54 AM
And, Peter (and all who haven't already), don't forget to join the C34 International Association in order to support this "free" (to you, not to the Association) site and receive Mainsheet magazine.  At $25/year ($45 for two years), the ideas you'll get may even save you enough to buy back one of your kidneys ;)

John,

45 bucks for two year is a bargin !. Its the best money I will ever spend on my boat.
Well, its 1AM in California and as seen in this recent picture I just said goodby to my caT 28.  Capt Lumpy is sleeping on it now in my slip and taking it about 70 miles to the new owner early in the morning. I sure hope he makes it. 

Thanks for all the help.

Ken Juul

I procrastinated for a couple years on building a smaller table.  While the Admiral was out shopping, on a whim I just took it out.  Her response....we should have done that 5 years ago! It really opens up the salon.  Keep it all at home, table and cushion easily reachable under a bed in case we need the extra sleeping space, compression strut boxed in the attic.

We use a short strap with a snap on the forward corners of the Vee berth insert to keep it in place. Another option if the velcro doesn't work.

You will get used to the fridge.  Check the projects page or do a search on "ice box hinge"  Couple different ways to hinge the lid, helps with access.  When I purchased mine the ice box was just a big hole with the cooling plate in it.  I fabricated a removable shelving system that really helps organize the space.  Unless it's just an afternoon sail, we almost always have a cooler to hold drinks, on a hot summer day there is nothing better than pulling a cold one out of the ice.  That leaves the fridge for just food.   If you have a real fridge rather than an "ice box" it is handy to freeze a partially emptied gallon of water.  Use it in the cooler on the trip to the boat to keep the cooler cold, then drop it in the bottom of the fridge to help minimize battery use.  We have spent several long weekends with 4 or 5 adults on board.  Plenty of space for 3 meals a day once you figure out which storage system works best for you.

I'm sure there are as many ways of storing things as there are boat owners.  We use the compartments behind the starboard settee for dry food storage, ones on the port side hold a variety of other stuff.

I guess it's just perspective, our dock neighbor has a Hunter.  Her fridge looks like a miniature home unit.  She hates it.  Doesn't hold near what ours will, stuff/cold falls out every time she opens the door.

Give it some time, many of us have had our boats for a number of years.  Still trying to get them just right!  After a few sails, everything will start falling into place.
Ken & Vicki Juul
Luna Loca #1090
Chesapeake Bay
Past Commodore C34IA

steve stoneback

Peter,

"I have never made a mistake.  One time I thought I had (Bought a C34)... but I was mistaken, I hadn't."

Hopefully you will get to this conclusion.  They are great boats and this board is a wonderful resource.

Steve
Steve Stoneback
Grasmere
1989 #918
Lake Oahe Pierre, SD

David Arnold

Peter,
I too have the 2005 model and the Admiral and I love the 34; so will you.  After our first season with our 34 we went to the boat show to look at other boats and compare but there was no comparison.  There was not another boat, larger or smaller, that had all that the 34 offers.  Yes, the aft cabin is tight; let the kids or guests use it.  Yes, the table is difficult to put down; we don't.  Yes, the table is tight but you can always swivel it sideways and you have much more room.  As for the V berth insert, ours has not fallen if it is in securely but yours may need some modifications. 

As for sailing, We owned a Catalina 30 and there too there is no comparison.  You will find the 34 to sail  better, faster and it is much more stable.  It is FAR more of a sailing boat than the 30.

All in all, every boat has good points as well as some challenges.  I am sure you will find that the 34 offers much more than any other boat out there! 

You made a good choice even if it cost you a kidney or two!
David
"Prints of Tides"
Naragansett Bay, RI
2005 - #1707

Ron Hill

Peter : I have no idea why you bought a C34??  Why did you??? 

When I bought my C34 I did my homework and examined all of the boats' facets and determined which characteristics I could change and which ones I would have to live with! 
I make no apologies for the C34 or it's design.  I can say that the design has change over the years from 1986 mainly because of owner comments.  Some of these design changes I like and some I don't.

I can say that there is no other Sail Boat company that will give you better tech and parts support than Catalina.  This spring I'll be launching mine for the 21st season and still believe that it's the best $60K investment I've ever made.  I'm sorry that you don't feel the same. 
So don't belittle a boat that doesn't meet your expectations, all because you made an inappropriate/hasty/what ever - decision. 
Ron, Apache #788

ellispe

Quote from: Ron Hill on January 09, 2009, 06:52:47 PM
So don't belittle a boat that doesn't meet your expectations, all because you made an inappropriate/hasty/what ever - decision. 

Now Ron,

I do love Catalina’s and have owned them exclusively since 1989. This is my third.  Many of the other members shared my feelings regarding some of the things that I initially noticed after my first night on the boat.

What C34 owner would complain if Catalina put more head or leg height in the aft birth? My boat came with a spring mattress that Is 3 or 4 inches thicker than the foam mattress that most people have, so I even have significantly less room than others.  Even Catalina finally figured that one out,  as on the new modes the mattress is ½ as thick. 

The salon table mechanism that I have is the solid internal rod and not the hydraulic version that you can push down.  You have to actually remove the entire table from its post, remove a steel rod and get it back in and push it down,. I can honestly say that the thing is a piece of  %$#@, and the fact that I have to remove all the heavy cushions (newer models have particle board built into the bottom of the dinette cushions) is criminal,. It literally took three people to manhandle the table out and back in.

My boat is 3 years old and the fake Wood Floor is already peeling. Don’t get me wrong, I love Catalina’s but let’s just say I think that someone over there, at least for my year was sleeping. Why put a crappy RV table base in a boat that cost $150,00.00. What I think happened, was all the good folks went to Florida to set up there new factory.

Remember, I never dissed the boat, or said bad things about it, was simply trying to get some vaidation that I was not the only one who noticed theses things. I feel its important that we at least recognize the shortcomings and dialog about the ways to mitigate them. That’s how we made America great, innovation and learning to turn adversity to our advantage. The fine folks on this site have already provided me with great incites to how I can resolve many of my concerns.

Like any good relationship learning to love a boat takes time, lets just say, I have a bad first date.

Many Thanks for the support

Peter

Jon Schneider

Quote from: ellispe on January 09, 2009, 08:15:39 PM
What C34 owner would complain if Catalina put more head or leg height in the aft birth? My boat came with a spring mattress that Is 3 or 4 inches thicker than the foam mattress that most people have, so I even have significantly less room than others.  Even Catalina finally figured that one out,  as on the new modes the mattress is ½ as thick. 

Peter, two thoughts: First, I really wouldn't want to be sleeping on someone else's mattress, so why don't you go to some big box store and get some memory foam for what might actually be a superior (and more sanitary) sleep, and more headroom to boot.  Second, every sailboat is a compromise, so, to answer your question, I might complain about more head or leg height in the aft berth if it affected the boat's lines, freeboard, or cockpit (which it would).  That's why Catalina triple-digit models and Hunters look the way they do.  Remember, you said you bought the 34 for her lines; you have to live with the consequences of those lines, good and bad (maybe). 
Jon Schneider
Greenport, NY USA

Rick Johnson

Peter,  hang in there.  I had a bad first date once and she ended up being my wife...  OK, so later she became the ex-wife but I'm trying to make a point here....  Just give it some time...  And perhaps Rum will make everything look better, I know it works with my ex...

Cheers,

Rick

Rick Johnson, #1110, 1990, s/v Godspeed, Lake Travis, TX