RESERVE WATER Tank

Previous topic - Next topic

PRIMROSE

Since summer 2001, my reserve water tank in cockpit locker went almost dry twice. Hose to engine shows no leaks and engine oil looks ok.

Boat is 2001 hull 1531 and have had no problems with engine which now has 60 hrs on it.Put boat in water last Fri and engine started immediately.

Any ideas?

Stephen

Jim Rose

For the past two winters this has happen to me also.  After the first winter I replaced the cap on the manifold, thinking I had a bad cap.  This past winter the recovery tank also drained down.  When you take the cap off the manifold the level is right at the top.  It's not leaking from the engine.  Just refill with 50/50 and wipe up the excess under the engine.  This phenomena is also happening to my friends 2000 model MKII.

Jim Rose

For the past two winters this has happen to me also.  After the first winter I replaced the cap on the manifold, thinking I had a bad cap.  This past winter the recovery tank also drained down.  When you take the cap off the manifold the level is right at the top.  It's not leaking from the engine.  Just refill with 50/50 and wipe up the excess under the engine.  This phenomena is also happening to my friends 2000 model MKII.  Only happens while she is stored for the winter.

Jack Hutteball

I have hull# 1555, 2001 model and the same thing is happening to me.  I do not see any leaks, but it has to be going somewhere.  This seems like a late model MKll problem.  My boat is in the water all year and Irun the engine at least monthly.
Jack and Ruth Hutteball
Mariah lll, #1555, 2001
Anacortes, Washington

kmorton16@home.com

On hull 1300 there was a loss of coolant and after a great deal of looking, the water heater was bypassed.  This stopped the disappearing coolant. The leak has not been found as yet.
Ken Morton - Trident

hdevera

I have hull number 1554.  This spring I noticed the same problem and posted a note in this message board.  Several others who had the same problem helped.  I found mine was the heat exchanger cap.  At first I cleaned it, and that helped a great deal.  I decided to replace the cap and have not had any problems since.  The engine manual even suggests having spare caps!  Note that the cape is spring loaded and I suspect the spring sticks in the open position, causing a slow leak.  I never have water in my bilge (PSS on prop shaft), and when the leak occurred I found the heat exchanger fluid in the bilge.

Stu Jackson

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Hal:I found mine was the heat exchanger cap.  I decided to replace the cap and have not had any problems since.  The engine manual even suggests having spare caps!  <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I assume you mean the engine manifold cap (like a car radiator screw on variety), rather than the heat exchanger (Semi-Dure) cap which is held onto the end of the heat exchanger by a bolt.  Two caps, two very different things.  Both, however, can lead to leaks.

Also, as noted in many recent posts, check your hose clamps regularly.  Last week I found one of the two hose clamps holding my old 2 inch HX had broken off.  The result was that the remaining HX clamp and the four inlet and outlet hose clamps  were under additional load to support the HX and they all needed to be tightened.  Oh, I also got to clean out the bilge (it's sure getting cleaner every week :eek:) and refill the antifreeze in the manifold and recovery bottle.

[This message was edited by Stu Jackson #224 1986 "Aquavite" on May 12, 2002 at 07:28 AM.]
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."