WHAM Mike at helm -- how to get wires belowdecks on our Mk II?

Previous topic - Next topic

Jon Arck - Past C34IA Commodore

Hi, Everyone

Happy Holidays (Chanukah and/or Christmas) and New Year!

We just added an ICOM 502 VHF on Tweety Bird, but can't figure-out how to put the WHAM mike at the helm and get the wiring belowdecks so that we can connect to the VHF.  There isn't room inside the instrument pod-to-cockpit sole conduit to string the wire belowdecks, there's no room to run the wire through the pedestal plate, and the pedestal guards are full; so, we're considering putting the receptacle on the left coaming next to the Whale manual bilge pump, which makes access through the lazarette and down to the head easy, but we'd much rather have the mic right at the helm).

We also have a new GPS, but trying to put it at the helm has two issues: getting the antenna cable from the stern pulpit to the GPS, and running the wire belowdecks to the VHF for DSC transmission.

Does anyone have an idea?  We don't want to drill another hole through the cockpit sole, nor do we want to locate the mike or GPS in the coaming, but don't see another alternative. 

I guess that that Mick was right (you can't always get what you want)...

Craig Illman

Jon - Looks like you already bought the radio, so my suggestion of a Uniden UM525 with a wireless WHAM mike is a little too late. NavPod makes a pedestal guard with larger tubes than the stock Edson. Good luck!

Craig

Jack Hutteball

Jon,
I actually mounted my GPS antenna on top of the pedestal guard.  Very easy and short cable run, and I don't think it obscures forward vision at all.
Jack
Jack and Ruth Hutteball
Mariah lll, #1555, 2001
Anacortes, Washington

Jack Hutteball

Jon, here is a picture of the installation.
Jack
Jack and Ruth Hutteball
Mariah lll, #1555, 2001
Anacortes, Washington

Jon Schneider

Jon, I put my remote mike on the coaming as well.  It was convenient for me to put it on the starboard side, because I had the aft berth bulkheads down, and, being right-handed, I thought the starboard side would be more comfortable.  Regarding the GPS antenna wire, have you considered simply running it through the pedestal (down the outside of the pedestal guard tube, and then jump across to the highest through-point on the pedestal just below the compass)?  It's a little kluge compared to being able to run the cabling through the guard tube and into the deck, but not bad (or maybe I'm just fooling myself).  I have my autopilot controller and three cables for my chartplotter (power, data, and weather).  Before I added the weather module I had the other three cables buried nicely in the guard tubing, but the fourth cable was the straw that broke camel's back, because the Garmin data cable is huge.  I'm kind of a stickler for stuff like this, but I have to admit, it's really not bad to have a cable neatly fastened to guard.  It almost looks natural. 
Jon Schneider
s/v Atlantic Rose #1058 (1990)
Greenport, NY USA

Momentum M

Jon...I have no merits 'cause the dealer installed it for me.  As you can see in the picture, my antenna is mounted on the rear balcony near the flag.  The pipe was drilled and the wire was inserted into the tube.  From there it was routed under the floor to the pedestal and the from there all the way up inside the 11/4" tubing.
My ram is mounted with a split block (in the same picture, black on the port side of the tubing).  The wire was ran on the outside of the post with tie wrap and I find it very acceptable.
Be carefull if you decide to install it on the coming 'cause I've install my radio's remote control by the manual bilge pump but I regret it.  It is always in the way of people getting on the jump seat and I have crushed it a few time when trimming my sails.

By the way Jack...I agree with you that it is not blocking the view to the young lad at the elm and again...you sitting down your almost at the same height so when you do stand up...again no problem Loll  :D
Serge & Carole Cardinal
C 34 Mk II 2005 - 1719
Wing Keel
Fresh water, Ontario Lake, Canada/Usa
On Hard from Oct to May

Momentum M

The picture...you see both....the antenna on the stern and the balck platic block to mount the ram mic.
Serge & Carole Cardinal
C 34 Mk II 2005 - 1719
Wing Keel
On Hard from Oct to May

Momentum M

Sorry...maybe I didn't give the full details.  The plastic block (split/black) that you see on the port side...attached to the pedestal has only the purpose of receiving the clip so that you can hook the mike to.  The connection is below the block...at the very bottom of the picture (beside the wheel spoke)and you can see a small black cap to prevent the elements from entering if you decide to remove the mike and just below the cap you'll see the quick connect to plug in the mike.
Serge & Carole Cardinal
C 34 Mk II 2005 - 1719
Wing Keel
On Hard from Oct to May

Roc

John,
My RAM mic is placed as you suggest to put yours; on the coaming right above the Whale bilge pump.  It's easy to grab it at the helm.  Plus it keeps it away from your compass.
Roc - "Sea Life" 2000 MKII #1477.  Annapolis, MD