How Big is Your Bimini?

Previous topic - Next topic

waterdog

My canvas guy dropped by the boat to work up a quote on a bimini.   He did a great job on the dodger and was very meticulous.  We have not yet spent the hour together in the cockpit that we no doubt will before he makes it.   

His estimate came back suggesting a 3 bow bimini with a mount on the coaming and 2 aft struts.   I've also asked for stainless rails on top to mount solar panels.   

Some questions:

How many bows on your bimini?
Coaming mount or aft rail?  Pros/cons?
How do you like it?
If you ordered a bimini today, what would you do differently?

Steve Dolling
Former 1988 #804, BlackDragon - Vancouver BC
Now 1999 Manta 40 cat

Ron Hill

Steve : I found that the C32 size was too small, the C36 size too big and the C34 size was just right!!
Sorry, I just couldn't resist!!   :rolling :rolling :rolling

3 bows
Rail mounted (less obstruction docking/cleaner installation), also stronger than mounted to the combing
18 years of loving it
Would do the same again!
Ron, Apache #788

Steve McGill

Steve,

We just installed our bimini this summer.

It is rail mounted, has three bows is about 48" measured fore to aft (there is a limit on width
based on the amount of bimini aft of the point where it connects to the aft rail.

I am 6' 4" and wanted plenty of headroom whether standing in the cockpit or on the settee.
With the low split backstay you either need to be above or below the split. With my height
my only option was to go above.

We chose to have the Bimini mount on the rail, this allowed for less interference with the primary winches or using the furler. A bimini mounted on the coaming does allow for a greater coverage area, but we felt it also proved more restrictive.

My only regret it that we did not purchase it last year when we purchased the boat.
javascript:void(0);
Steve
CLARITY 1988 #588 TRWK (sold 8/2023 after 17 yrs)
Chesapeake, Herring Bay, MD

Mike and Joanne Stimmler

Don't forget a window in the top to be able to see the masthead.
Mike and Joanne Stimmler
Former owner of Calerpitter
'89 Tall Rig Fin keel #940
San Diego/Mission Bay
mjstimmler@cox.net

Ken Juul

Huge!  4 bows, coaming mounted behind the winches.  Zippers to get around the aft stays.  Covers from the aft cockpit rail to about 12" aft of the companionway/dodger.  Have a connector that zips between the dodger and the bimini for rainy days.  Pictures available in the picture section of the home page.
Ken & Vicki Juul
Luna Loca #1090
Chesapeake Bay
Past Commodore C34IA

horsemel

We had our bimini and dodger made last year.  Coming mounted with 3 bows.  zippers around backstay, no side curtains.  I am 6'1" so had it designed with full head room behind wheel.  Aft portion extends over stern rail so helmsman benefits from shade. No window in top, but do not find it a big problem.  Make sure they use good zippers with large teeth to make zipping easier.  We got the zip in piece for between the dodger and bimini, definitely a must.  We remove the piece when sailing. We do not find the coming mount a problem with docking.  We sailed quite a few years without a dodger and bimini.  Boy were we stupid to go without!
Mark Mueller
Blue Moon #815
Mark & Melinda Mueller
Blue Moon, Hull #815

Joe and Carol

Our bimini is as large as possible, four bow, aft rail and side mounted far enough to rear of cockpit to cover helmsman.  We eliminated straps by connecting front bow to dodger frame and aft bow to stern rail.  This made great ease for boarding and moving forward.   There is a bit of vision between top of dodger and bottom of bimini which we will have to design a snap cover for when it rains.  By moving the four bow as far aft as possible we also have nice side shade for our stern rail seats.  When you see our bimini you know we like maximum shade.  Sorry, but won' be able to post pictures til spring. 
Joe & Carol Pyles

YatchaSea
1987 Catalina 34 TR
Hull #244

Sailing Stockton Lake, Missouri

Terry Forshier

Our bimini covers the entire cockpit. the hot sun down in SW Flordia is so intense you need the shade most year round. I only have one complaint in the 4 bow system used. I think the uprights should be on the 4 corners not mounted in the middle of the cockpit and all 4 bows off the main support strut. This was (the way it is now) the struts are in the way when you winch and get in oand out of the boat. Therse newer designs keep the poles out of the way. Terry

Joe and Carol

Terry, your comment is correct.  We moved the main mount supports far aft of the winch arc and fastened it just inside the outside fiberglass toe cap.  Then we had to cross brace the four bows both laterally and vertically to give support and rigidity.  It is not sturdy enough to do chin ups on but it does provide good hand hold feel. 
Joe & Carol Pyles

YatchaSea
1987 Catalina 34 TR
Hull #244

Sailing Stockton Lake, Missouri